Honda EU2000 Generator, no spark

Old 08-03-05, 10:42 AM
Honda EU2000 Generator, no spark

I have a Honda EU2000 generator which has worked great for 3 years. This summer the generator decided not to start. In pulling the sparc plug, I could not get a spark. I replaced the spark plug (and bought a spare) and it started fine. When I went to use it again (~1 month later), same thing, no spark. I tried the spare, still no spark. After locating a replacement coil from Honda, I replaced the coil. It started fine and ran ~10 mins. After shutting it off, I tried to start it again, no spark. Tried the spare plug again, no spark. In looking at the coil, I have no idea how to test it or figure out what may be causing it to go bad. Any thoughts?

After replacing the plug the first time, I changed the oil. I've ensured that the oil level is right at the rim of the fill plug so I'm reasonably certain that the oil level is not causing this problem.

And last, I threw out my original plug so I'm unable to determine if the coils erratic behavior existed from the start.

If anyone has experienced this before, I'd appreciate any insight into solving this problem.

Thanks,
Omar

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 01:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Omar!

Try unplugging the kill wire from the coil and see if your spark returns. If so, the problem is either in the switch or the low oil sentry.

Old 08-04-05, 10:13 AM
Interesting thing about that small black wire. While it was running, I disconnected that wire to see if it would continue running and it did not. It did restart once I reconnected it. That was when I allowed it run while I cleaned up. It did not restart once I stopped it with the switch.

Another data point, I measured the switch with an ohm meter and it was stable in both positions, ie. on=open, off=short. I tried wiggling the switch to see if there was anything erratic about it but it was stable.

Thanks,
Omar

Old 08-06-05, 12:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It shouldn't quit when you unplug the kill wire to the coil. It is open anyway when the switch is turned on, so unplugging it should be no different. If it does quit, I would think the wire is chaffed somewhere under the engine shroud, and the wiggling of the wire while unplugging it made it short to ground and shut off.

Old 03-06-08, 05:07 PM
no spark

hey,
i have the same problem. did you ever find out what the problem was?

thanks for the help,

steve

Old 03-07-08, 10:04 AM
Problem solved

The problem was an intermittant on/off switch. It had been in a sand storm and lots of fine dust particles made its way into the switch. After replacing the switch, I took the faulty one apart and cleaned it. I now have a (good) spare on/off switch, coil and spark plug...

I have not had any further trouble since replacing the switch.

Regards.