Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

8hp tecumseh runs wide open

Visiting Guest

08-06-05, 01:12 PM   #1  
rick2067
8hp tecumseh runs wide open

I have a 1984 ariens srm830 with a 8hp tecumseh engine.I rebuilt the carb on it and hooked the linage back the same as it was before and i mowed with it twice and everything worked just fine.I was mowing and hit a rock the size of a baseball and about 2-3 min later it started running wide open.When i hold the govener linkage back it runs fine and when i let off it runs wide open.I figured i damaged the gov inside so i took it apart and the plastic spool looking thing was all chewed up so i replaced it and it still wants to run wide open!I keep thinking the linkage is hooked up wrong but why did it run fine before and now it runs wide open?Can anyone please tell me whats wrong and were i could get a diagram of linkage hook-up for the carb and the choke and a exploded view of the engine? THANK YOU in advance..Rick

ARIENS SRM830
MODEL:927017
SERIAL:002718

TECUMSEH ENGINE
MODEL:VM80-150139G
SERIAL:1155D

CARB#64B 1E19

Sponsored Links

08-06-05, 07:53 PM   #2  
you are supposed to set governor lever to throttle wide open. governor pulls throttle rod back to closed position. top rod connects governor to throttle. bottom sring to carb linkage. long end of throttle rod goes to governor lever. adjust to get it idle down. governor lever towars head is wide open and towards seat is closing. your supposed to set governor with everything else disconnect. but if in a hurry unloosen lever and adjust to about 3/4 speed with linkage in fast position. sounds like you did not put throttle rod in right and its sticking throttle plate in wide open position. redo throttle rod to make sure its right so throttle plate can move. short end of rod goes down on hole in throttle plate and long end hooks on governor. it should move freely.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-06-05, 11:57 PM   #3  
Hello Rick!

Sounds like you need to adjust the governor arm. Set the throttle to wide open, loosen the governor lever, rotate the governor shaft as far as it will go in the direction that it would go if it were revving the engine, hold it there while you tighten the lever screw. This should get you back in shape.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 08-07-05 at 12:11 AM.

Visiting Guest

08-15-05, 09:01 PM   #4  
rick2067
Thanks

I checked linkage and it is and was connected like you said,so thats all straightend out.I tryed moving the govenor rod around and it seems to be bringing it out of its fits so once i get everything readjusted it should be back to normal.....Thanks alot guys you have been a great help!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-16-05, 01:07 AM   #5  
Great! Glad we could help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread