I am going to place two different engine problems in one thread

Old 08-07-05, 06:15 PM
I am going to place two different engine problems in one thread

Alright, I am finally fed up with my 6hp Briggs and Stratton. It started blowing oil a while back, and now won't even start. I have rebuilt the carb, re-cut the magneto line, changed and checked the oil, checked for gas flow, checked for spark, etc. and I guess that she needs to be pulled apart, new piston rings put on, and new gaskets put in. When the mower runs, it cuts great and gives you no problems, but now, it is just good enough to be sitting there. I pulled it out of the deck today, drained oil first and gas. I had the bottom of the engine, the crankcase I guess, halway off and decided to put it back on until my friend can help me. I was wondering, is changing the piston rings, decarbonizing the engine, and putting new gaskets on all that I should have to do to get it running again? Thanks.

P.S. Warning to all B&S Owners, I checked my valve cover one day and was about to pull it off when I realized that my valve cover screws were so loose that I could take them out with my hand.... ....so things have went down hill from then.

I will post about the second engine problem later.

Sorry..here are my engine specs...
Model 12H887
Type 2314-B1
Code 9912295C

Thanks again in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-05, 06:53 PM
Here are the parts for my mower...

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/bs_qref2.cfm

Old 08-07-05, 08:43 PM
Since I have had problems with a spark in the past

Well, my friend and I got to talking about this whole engine rebuild thing and he said that I may not have to do it after all. Turns out that I have had a problem with getting a spark recently, like I will mow and the mower will act like it is going to die and then it will catch back up with itself and keep on going. Then every once in a while, it will quit, and I have to pull and pull and it will finally start back up. I have an NGK spark plug in it with maybe 20 hours on it, I think more around 15 max. He gave me his old blown motor to get spare parts off of it and it is a 12.5 I/C Briggs and Stratton. I might pull the magento off of it and put it on my mower tommorrow, I know that after I cleaned mine one time it worked fine for a while and then has went down hill since. Thanks and hope to hear from you Cheese...

P.S. The 12.5 hp motor uses the same plug that my motor does so should it work?

Old 08-07-05, 10:27 PM
6hp is probably junk. pull head and look at cylinder wall. if it has big digs or grooves, the price of cylinder bore would exceed its value. i have several engines i use for parts from this category. pros will tell you only ics are worth boring. honing may work on small grooves and new rings but i can tell you when my aluminum blocks started blowing oil the end was near. when i would unbolt head the cylinder was to fargone and it was time to start looking for another engine. i just had an 8hp that i used to mow 2 ft tall grass but it used too much oil. when i looked at the cylinder wall, piston, and rings they were bad beyond use. cost of repair probably $. 100.00. i can buy a used engine for less or upgrade for slightly more. this estimate includes 1/2 price after market parts. the 12 hp if its ic is worth the cost. i have rebuilt 2 of these and the cylinder walls have remained excellent thru many hours of use. i rebuilt both of these for less than 100.00 total and they perform well.

Old 08-08-05, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by l.mitchell
6hp is probably junk. pull head and look at cylinder wall. if it has big digs or grooves, the price of cylinder bore would exceed its value. i have several engines i use for parts from this category. pros will tell you only ics are worth boring. honing may work on small grooves and new rings but i can tell you when my aluminum blocks started blowing oil the end was near. when i would unbolt head the cylinder was to fargone and it was time to start looking for another engine. i just had an 8hp that i used to mow 2 ft tall grass but it used too much oil. when i looked at the cylinder wall, piston, and rings they were bad beyond use. cost of repair probably $. 100.00. i can buy a used engine for less or upgrade for slightly more. this estimate includes 1/2 price after market parts. the 12 hp if its ic is worth the cost. i have rebuilt 2 of these and the cylinder walls have remained excellent thru many hours of use. i rebuilt both of these for less than 100.00 total and they perform well.
Thanks man. I think my oil problem was that I had to much oil inside of the engine. Like a half inch over the max on the dipstick. The 12.5 hp motor is completly junk, it threw the rod out of the side of the engine. I am going to pull the magnetron off of it and wish for the best. The 6 hp motor of mine is only about 4-5 years old.

Last edited by littleworker; 08-08-05 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-08-05, 07:39 AM
This morning right after my previous post I went outside and pulled the magneto off of the 12.5 hp motor and it wouldn't fit on my mower, the bolts are to far apart, I also pulled one off of a 4hp Briggs and it was just like the 12.5 mower.

So now I may end of having to buy one, and that sucks. I may pull the head off this morning to make sure that it looks smooth in the cyclinder and there aren't high and low spots. I have done it before but the lawnmower was used for maybe 5 hours after this. My friend is coming over tonight so we will have a look at it.

If you can think of any other reason for it to have no spark then please let me know, the carb is fine, when you prime it the gas comes up into the throat of the carb like it should.

Search this Thread