line feeding problem with John Deere trimmer

Old 08-09-05, 12:23 PM
line feeding problem with John Deere trimmer

I just purchased a gas powered John Deere XT120 straight shaft string trimmer. The line it came with breaks easily and is retracted inside the feeding holes (making line feeding impossible). Every time I reload the line (per the instructions), the same thing happens--I can only get about 5 minutes of trimming in before I'm out of line again. Is there a trick to this? I noticed that the spool had 2 separate lines loaded on it when I purchased it, but the instructions direct me to load one long line that is looped through two holes in the spool's center, resulting in 2 lines of equal length. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-05, 12:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you certain it is wound the correct direction? Should be arrows on the spool to indicate the direction to wind. Also, you might need a better line, or if the line is old, soak it in a tub of water overnight to help limber it up.

Old 08-10-05, 06:25 PM
Thanks, Cheese. I'll double check the arrows. I'll also plan to use new line that I purchased not long ago. Perhaps the factory-installed is old, brittle and prone to breaking easily? Hopefully your advice will work. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Search this Thread