Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blow Out

Visiting Guest

08-11-05, 05:29 AM   #1  
Old Geezer
Blow Out

My neighbors craftsman chipper/shredder, 5hp Tecumseh, quit while he was using it, we found the screw from the carburator choke plate was missing. I asked if he had found the old screw, we put in a NEW screw, and pulled the starter cord very slowly to see that the old screw wasn`t in the cylinder. Well after starting the motor it builds up to a high RPM for about 30 seconds, but kicks out and gas come blowing out the choke opening, I`m afraid the old screw must have gotten sucked in when the problem first occured, you think there is ring damage? whats your thought on this?

Sponsored Links

AL

08-11-05, 11:18 AM   #2  
I've seen this problen many,many times.If your engine done what I think it did,it's a wonder it will even run for long.The missing chock plate screw is prob.stuck in the intake valve,hohding it open.CURE-Take the screw out,make sure it didn't scar the valve face or the valve seat,or bend the valve. It it did a simple valve job is in order.The engine should be fine

Good Luck

Visiting Guest

08-12-05, 03:45 AM   #3  
Old Geezer
Thank so very much, we will look into the screw in the intake valve advice. When it rains it pours...my weed wacker is acting up, but that will be a later post, thank you again.

NC

08-12-05, 06:27 PM   #4  
Tecumseh carbs require throttle/choke flap screws that have a dry adhesive coating. If you replace them make sure you have the correct screws from Tecumseh with this adhesive or else they will losen.

God Bless,
Dave

Search this Thread