17.5 hp tecumseh problems.

Old 08-16-05, 05:26 PM
ridenhour
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 17.5 hp tecumseh problems.

I have a 17.5 hp tecumseh on a riding mower. (murray) It has been sitting for about six months. Last time it ran it ran fine. When I try to start it now it will run with choke almost all the way on. Then when you take the choke off it quits. Here is a list of the things ive done.

changed plug
new fuel filter
taken bowl off and cleaned needle and seat. (blown out all holes)

I cannot seem to find a fuel mixture screw on the thing anywhere. Has two wires run to the botton of the bowl?? Dont know what they are for. One has power the other is grounded. Thanks for any help what so ever.

Old 08-16-05, 11:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Does this carb have a plastic bowl held on with a flip bail wire? If so, Purchase a carb kit for it, or just replace the carb with a new one. These are notoriously troublesome carbs and it might be best to just replace it with new rather than fight with the old one.

Old 08-17-05, 07:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'd try the bowl kit first as it should take care of your trouble. The Tecumseh part# is 730639, for around 15 bucks. The carburetor, on the other hand is around $65. If you choose to just replace the bowl, I strongly recommend soaking the carburetor body in a bath cleaner (I like Napa #6401) for 15-20 minutes, removing all rubber and plastic parts as reasonably possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: