Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How To Remove Lawn Mower Blade?

Visiting Guest

08-17-05, 06:19 AM   #1  
Dpdblues
How To Remove Lawn Mower Blade?

I tried to loosen the nut on the Lawn Mower blade but the blade turns as I try to loosen the nut. Any one have any tips or tricks to stop the blade from moving while loosening the nut?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

08-17-05, 06:53 AM   #2  
I wedge the blade against the mower deck with a chunk of 2x4.

NY

08-17-05, 06:53 AM   #3  
Hold the blade using a heavy work glove. Be sure to disconnect the spark plug wire before doing such. If, for some reason, the blade hub adapter has a sheared key, holding the blade will do no good, you'll need compressed air and/or heat to remove the nut.

PA

08-17-05, 10:26 AM   #4  
An air operated or electric impact wrench works well if you have one. The impacts occur faster than the shaft will turn. ALWAYS remove the spark plug wire when working under any mower!

CT

08-18-05, 04:52 AM   #5  
I've found holding the blade with a good work glove does the trick. Use steady, even pressure when removing the nut and don't overtighten it when you put the blade on, but make sure it is snug.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-18-05, 11:09 PM   #6  
I agree with the impact response. If the entire shaft is turning, it won't do any good to hold the blade while turning the bolt as you have found out. The impact will do it, however. Must be a murray product with the spring washers holding the blade tight.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread