Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Cheif 440 won't start

Visiting Guest

08-17-05, 03:16 PM   #1  
markm30
Lawn Cheif 440 won't start

I have a Lawn Cheif 440 with a 12 hp Briggs and Stratton Engine. A few weeks ago the teeth on the flywheel and the starter got chewed up so I pulled the flywheel off and had the teeth replaced on it and the starter. I put everything back together and tried to start it and it started and ran for about 2 minutes or so then died. I started checking everything and found that somehow water got in the oil. I drained the old oil out and put new oil in and now it will not start. It sounds like it wants to fire. It pops like it wants to start but won't. Any ideas????

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-18-05, 01:50 AM   #2  
Hello markm30!

I'd just about bet you that the flywheel key is sheared. The flywheel nut must be very tight when you reinstall the flywheel, or it will just shear again. Do not put grease or anything where the flywheel mounts on the crankshaft either, or the key will shear.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

08-18-05, 07:54 AM   #3  
You said water in your oil. Are you sure it wasn't fuel and now you still have a flooded issue?

Search this Thread