Oil change for craftsman 6.0 push mower

Old 08-18-05, 10:59 AM
ryandealer
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Oil change for craftsman 6.0 push mower

Hello. My the oil ran low on my craftsman push mower so when I refilled it I accidentally put too much oil in. Now the engine won't start and barely turns over at all. I cannot find the owner's manual and I would like to find a way to empty the oil myself. I turned the mower over and couldn't find a plug to release the oil however. Can anyone provide some detailed information on how to drain the oil? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-05, 11:12 AM
ryandealer, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I am not the expert in this Forum but if there is no drain plug, you will probably have to go the messy route of removing the fill cap and tipping the mower on it's side to drain the excess oil. Do this on a pile of oil absorbent or kitty litter (clay type) and dispose of properly. Meaning, put it in a container and label it. Other choice is to try to drain it into a pan to pour into a container later and take it to a garage that accepts oil. Good luck and watch this post for the real expert opinions and answers.

Old 08-19-05, 11:12 AM
Large Sarge
Visiting Guest
I am no expert either, but I suspect you fouled your spark plug with oil when you flooded the engine.......

You need to take out the plug and clean it...... (paint thinner or gasoline etc, and a clean cloth)

if you have the patience, you can probably burn off the excess oil (lots of white smoke for a little while coming out of your mower..)

HTH