Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ryobu 990R Brush Trimmer Questions

Visiting Guest

08-19-05, 09:18 AM   #1  
cain5five
Ryobu 990R Brush Trimmer Questions

Is there a trick to removing the Clutch from the Crankshaft?

I need access to the starter spool (between the two) but I am not able to remove the Clutch, it just spins with the Crankshaft.

It looks like I should be able to screw it off, but where do I stabalize the wheel from turning?

I accidently chipped one of the fans on the crankshaft wheel as it was not strong enough to keep the wheel from turning while trying to unscrew the clutch.

Will this cause any problems?

Please advise!

Sponsored Links

NY

08-20-05, 08:50 AM   #2  
This should require a Torx T-20 driver to remove the screw retaining the clutch drum to the crankshaft. Remove the spark plug, insert some small rope (like the size the unit uses for its rewind starter) into the plug hole. This acts as a piston stop thereby not allowing the piston to travel past top dead center.

AL

08-20-05, 08:50 AM   #3  
The broken fin on the flywheel will throw the engine slightly out of balance.
But not enough so you can feel when running.so I wouldn't worry about it too much.In order to get the clutch bail off without any further damage they do make a spacial tool to do this.but it's made of plastic so it's EZ to strip,
the best was that I've found is to put plastic hose into spark plug hole,use it as a piston stop then unscrew the clutch retaining screw, located down inside the part of the clutch bail thet the drive cable gose into.(It comes off the regular way)with a torx (star) headed driver.Size t-25.Then you'll still have to unscrew the clutch shue(same direction).Be sure when putting back together you get the clutch shue tight.And you're good to go.
good luck

Search this Thread