Crafstman mower clank noise

Old 08-23-05, 04:53 PM
WayneBo
Visiting Guest
Crafstman mower clank noise

I have about a 6 year old craftsman mower that generally runs really well. Here is the problem, I ran over a tree root the other day, the mower continued to run, but then a weird clanking noise, like something being hit together started, then the mower died, I got it to go for about 2 minutes today, but the clanking noise was still there, somewhat subdued, I removed the blade and the clanking noise seemed to go away, when i tried to start it, with the blade on, the noise is there when trying to start. I replaced the blade as it got really bent , but the problem still exists, any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-05, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I imagine, if you look under the mower, that the blade is hitting part of the mower deck underneath. You may have to pound the deck back out of the way of the blade.

Make sure to remove the spark plug before turning the blade by hand to keep the engine from starting.

Old 08-24-05, 02:04 PM
WayneBo
Visiting Guest
not the problem

Unfortuneatly(sp) that does not appear to be the problem as there is a new(unbent blade now, and not a single mark on the deck any where where there appears to be any contact btween the blade and the mower deck.

Old 08-25-05, 07:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Quote: "...and not a single mark on the deck any where where there appears to be any contact btween the blade and the mower deck."

There should be no such places. The blade should not appear to contact the deck anywhere.

Check the blade adapter, it could be broken, the engine mounting flange could be broken, or if the crankshaft bent, it could be vibrating something causing the noise.