bad electric clutch?

Old 08-25-05, 07:03 PM
jhpate
Visiting Guest
bad electric clutch?

Hello, I have a 8yr old craftsman with a 16.5 kohler. Over the last few months the clutch will cycle off for a second or two and then return to normal. This has increased in frequency to the point of it trying to engage but then not at all. I pulled the belts and checked the pulleys for a bad spindle. All seem to turn freely. One was making a little bearing noise so I replaced them. When the clutch try's to engage the motor bounces. Bad clutch or look elsewhere?
thanks for the help
jp

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-05, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The engine bouncing sounds like the clutch is having a hard time turning the belt. Does the belt have a thin spot on it? Do the blades and all pulleys turn freely? Is the battery fully charged? Could a battery connection be loose?

Old 08-25-05, 07:47 PM
jhpate
Visiting Guest
hello, checked the pulleys with belts off and they turn freely. New belts and battery is charged and well. Engine runs good but seems to bog a little under heavy load. Battery connections nice and tight with no corrosion. New battery 4 months ago. Does have a bad solenoid that I need to replace but did not think it would be related.
thanks again.

Old 08-26-05, 07:35 AM
jhpate
Visiting Guest
well, it is not the clutch. I bypassed the switch with the engine running and put direct voltage to the clutch which worked. The engine is still hopping under load and missing under load. I had not noticed this before. With the mower braked (no load on transaxle) engine runs fine. With brake off ( load on transaxle but not on mower deck) the engine is missing but not hopping like clutch load. Carburetor problem? Valve adjustment?
thanks,
jp

Old 08-26-05, 08:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably a carburetor issue. This engine has no valve adjustments to be made (hydraulic lifters). Try removing the air filter and see if it straightens out. If so, replace it. If not, I'd have a look in the carb.

The PTO clutch problem sounds like a bad switch. (I suppose you've already figured that out).

Old 08-27-05, 10:42 AM
jhpate
Visiting Guest
thanks for the help I will look at the carb.
thanks again,
jp