Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1997 MTD Stuck in Gear

Visiting Guest

08-26-05, 05:10 PM   #1  
msaffer
1997 MTD Stuck in Gear

Hello again,

I'm still learning the protocol of this forum so I wasn't sure if I should have responded back to my original question or make a new thread.

I want to thank dave237 for the prompt response to my last question about starting problems with my Ace Special Edition, 42" cut tractor, model 13AG675G033, serial 1J256C20132. Thanks a lot Dave.

Since this question was transmission related, I thought a new thread was the right thing to do. Please forgive me people! I'm new! Awesome forum BTW.

OK, It's stuck in gear. It's still not starting, but I think I have enough information to make that happen.

I am fairly certain that the previous owner tried to drive this tractor over his outside wooden deck as a shortcut to it's parking spot and got hung up on the deck. The deck is perhaps 4-6 inches high from the ground.

The blade height control on the forward right is pulled all the way back, disengaged. The clutch/brake pedal on the forward left is to the floor. The speed control lever, right aft is all the way back to zero, or neutral I suppose. The transmission control on the floor just in front of the seat, between the legs, is in neutral, I think. I can't get a positive response out of the control. It moves through the positions, but I don't think it's really doing anything at this point. It's stuck I think.

Could you pro's please help me out and tell me how I can free up the tranny? Should I look for a certain pivot point or lever on the transmission to give a good 'ole whack with a hammer and unleash the beast? If I can just free it up, I can probably see why it got stuck and fabricate a solution.. just not sure what to look for.

All the best to the people here. You do good work.

Michael Saffer
Jacksonville, FLorida

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-26-05, 08:38 PM   #2  
Hello msaffer!

Starting the new thread is fine, as it is now a different subject. As long as we're discussing the transaxle problem, use the reply button.

The speed control lever you described (nice description of your mower controls by the way), is in "park" now. Move it to 3 or 4, then rock the mower back and forth while trying to shift the forward/reverse shifter and see if you get a positive response. These tend to stick when the mower is in park, the tranny is in a bind, and when the engine is not running.

The solenoid Dave mentioned in the previous thread is found under the cover plate between your knees where the fwd/rev shifter is. Unscrew the shifter knob and the 2 phillips screws and lift out the plate and you will see it bolted to the frame just under the edge of the seat.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-27-05, 04:22 AM   #3  
msaffer
Thank you Cheese,

I tried rocking the mower yesterday but not the way you described, with the speed control lever moved to 3 or 4. I think we could be on to something big here!

I look forward to having some coffee this morning, fixing this lawnmower today, and then yelling "it's alive!" to my neighbors.

I appreciate your help. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Michael Saffer
Jacksonville, Florida

Visiting Guest

08-27-05, 08:21 AM   #4  
msaffer
Hey Cheese....

IT'S ALIVE !

The transmission trick worked.

I found the solenoid and took it out and brushed it up, cleaned the connections, also cleaned the ignition switch connections. Put both back in and crossed the poles on the solenoid with a screwdriver and it bumped.

Turned the ignition switch and it started.

Thank you very much. You saved me the cost of a repair bill.

Regards,
Michael Saffer
Jacksonville, Florida

NC

08-27-05, 06:22 PM   #5  
msaffer,

I love a post that turns out this way. Great to hear it! I wish you many a happy mowing season.

God Bless,
Dave237

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-29-05, 02:12 AM   #6  
Glad we could help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread