Time for a new engine

Old 08-29-05, 05:51 AM
misnomerny
Visiting Guest
Time for a new engine

My 20+ year old craftsman 4 spd 10 hp electric start riding tractor appears to have given up the ghost. After cutting the grass and on the way to putting it back in the shed the engine speed accelerated like a jet plane revving it's engine then a loud clank and smoke and the engine died. Oil gushed out all over the place. I am fairly handy and have repaired lots of things both electrical and mechanical. In your opinons how easy would it be for me to replace the engine. I see there is an upgraded engine (12hp) available for these craftsman mowers and it would be cheaper than buying a brand new rig.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-05, 08:54 AM
definitely sounds like you need an engine. Keep in mind that you'll still have an old tractor, so you'll have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of replacing only the engine.

S/T

Old 08-29-05, 10:06 AM
misnomerny,

The engine change over is pretty easy and straight forward. The only connections are fuel line, throttle control and electrical. Make sure your new engine has the same mounting bolt hole pattern and the crank shaft is the same size and length as your old engine.
Best Of Luck and God bless,

Dave237

Old 08-29-05, 02:12 PM
The most difficult obstacle you'll encounter is removing the crankshaft pulley. Twenty-plus years of rust and corrosion will likely make this a chore to remove. Post back with your engines' numbers and I'll do a look up for a replacement engine as well as a shortblock.

Old 08-29-05, 08:13 PM
misnomerny,

I agree! Your pully will be the most rusted part to remove!

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 09-02-05, 09:05 AM
Are you there misnomerny?