Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generac generator

AL

08-30-05, 11:13 AM   #1  
Generac generator

I've got a Generac generator 4000XL in and I've taken the carburetor (Nikki) apart and cleaned it. Now it will only start when I spray starting fluid in the carburetor...it seems to run fine. I can't even to get it to fire without the starting fluid. The model number on the engine is GN-220. When I cleaned out the carburetor, it look good even before I started.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-30-05, 06:07 PM   #2  
Well if it runs on starting fluid your problem is most likely the carb. Since the engine runs on starter fluid you know it has compression and spark, the only thing left is fuel. The carb. may look clean but all it takes is a little bit of varnish or dirt in a tiny passage can cause troubles.

08-31-05, 12:08 AM   #3  
Do you have old fuel in it?? Old regular gas will not ignite when starting but will run once you get it going. If you burn that old fuel it will gum up the intake valve and cause it to stick. Put in fresh gas--premium only-- then try.

S/T

Search this Thread