Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GX140

Visiting Guest

08-31-05, 12:05 AM   #1  
dim03
Honda GX140

I have an old GX 140 engine. I tried starting it up, but it won't turn over. I get a spark, and the spark plug is covered in oil/black stuff. How do I clean it? and get it running?

Sponsored Links

08-31-05, 12:11 AM   #2  
you haven't made any sense to me?? How can you get a spark if it won't turn over? Your terminology or something is not correct here?

S/T

Visiting Guest

08-31-05, 12:13 AM   #3  
dim03
Sorry! What I meant is that I can get a spark, but the thing wont start lol. I checked the carby but can I do anything else? There looks like oil is getting onto the spark plug when I take it out of the hole and my auto teacher told me to put petrol in the hole to clense the engine cos the oil rings might be stuffed. Make sense now?!?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-05, 01:22 AM   #4  
Automotive carburetor cleaner works well for cleaning oil off a spark plug. If it sat unused for a good length of time, the carburetor probably needs a good cleaning. The rings could be stuck, but this shouldn't cause the plug to get oily very fast on that engine. You won't have good compression if the rings are stuck, but a stuck valve could do that too (almost no compression). I'd clear the oil out of the cylinder and get enough gas in it to fire it up and see what happens.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-31-05, 01:25 AM   #5  
dim03
How do I clean out the oil out of the cylinder? I'm a newbie so be gentle lol

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-05, 01:34 AM   #6  
Remove the plug and pull the starter cord aggressively several times to blow the oil out the plug hole. Then if it will start, crank it up and let it run until it quits bellowing smoke.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-31-05, 04:49 AM   #7  
dim03
Does anyone have pics of the Governor system fot the GX140?

Visiting Guest

08-31-05, 11:58 PM   #8  
dim03
Springs on GX140

Will my GX140 work if the spring that goes from the shell of the gas tank to the governer is missing? Also, I'm missing the spring from the carbie to the governer arm. Will these 2 spring affect the engine?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-01-05, 12:13 AM   #9  
Yes, it will affect the engine and they need to be in place.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-01-05, 12:29 AM   #10  
dim03
Getting closer to starting!

OK I'm getting closer to getting the engine started. I flushed out the cylinder walls and now it sounds like its about to start but it doesn't. Any ideas?

Visiting Guest

09-01-05, 12:38 AM   #11  
dim03
Would it rev its A$$ off if i started it without the springs or do I need to order new ones?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-01-05, 12:47 AM   #12  
Ok, I consolidated all these threads into one topic. Please do not start a new thread each time you have a question pertaining to this engine. It gets to be confusing. Use the "reply" button when you want to make a post pertaining to this engine.

Yes, the engine will probably rev badly and possibly sling a rod before you can shut it off.

Have you checked the compression? How about the carb? We can't tell you what's wrong with it unless we know a little something about the engine and its' condition.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-01-05, 01:01 AM   #13  
dim03
Sorry about the post thing I have pics of the engine...

Moderators note: Sorry, I don't want to appear to be picking on you or anything, but Email addresses aren't allowed on the forums. I have to remove them and do so regularly to other members, so it wouldn't be fair of me to allow yours to remain. I'm sure you understand. I hope we can help you fix your problem. You can upload your pics at a website designed for that purpose (many are free), and post a link to the pics here so we can all see them.

Last edited by cheese; 09-02-05 at 01:27 AM.

Visiting Guest

09-03-05, 11:13 PM   #14  
dim03
Where can I find parts for the GX140 (mainly the Governor kit and springs) in Australia?

Visiting Guest

09-05-05, 12:49 AM   #15  
dim03
Is there a way to De Govern the engine and have it running some other way?!?

Visiting Guest

09-18-05, 10:16 PM   #16  
dim03
How can I remove the piston and camshaft?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-18-05, 10:34 PM   #17  
You'll have to pull the cover off the side of the engine, and remove the head to get the piston and cam out.

God bless!

Search this Thread