Walk behind mower hard start

Old 09-02-05, 08:50 AM
Walk behind mower hard start

My Craftsman 917.382790 walk behind mower has often been hard to start manually. (I gave up using electric start quite a while ago). I've replaced the plug and it's still difficult to start and if started it runs for only about 10 seconds or so and shuts off. This is with air filter removed and not replaced. and after priming. In past years replacing the air filter after starting was OK and engine ran fine.

Sears manual says if it won't start replace control bar, but it is not obvious that anything is wrong with the control bar. and I have wondered if the contacts made by the control bar action may not always be maintained. That part of the system is expensive so not to be experimented with. I've not tried to open the box containing the switch.

I'm close to taking it somewhere to be repaired, but I'm always nervous about issuing a blank check without some idea of what might actually be wrong with the mower or me.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-05, 09:42 AM
magison,

Try removing the bolt (main jet) from the bottom of the carb bowel. The tiny holes at the bottom of this jet should be cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air. If this don't do it you will need to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. This carb is a simple one to disassemble and clean. Let us know if you need additional help and let us know how it goes.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 09-02-05, 10:00 AM
hard to start mower

Thanks, Dave for your quick response. it is just the kick in the butt that I need to get me to do something I suspected but didn't have courage to do.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Ernie Magison

Old 09-02-05, 11:24 AM
Walk behind mower-hard start

Thanks, Dave for the good advice. I cleaned the screw as you suggested and after a couple of pulls it started and ran fine until a thunderstorm saved me from further exertion. I'm not so adventurous that I wanted to take the carburetor apart for kicks, so I put some Gum Out in the fuel tank, and maybe that will help also.

Enjoy your weekend.

ernie magison

Old 09-02-05, 11:58 AM
Thanks For The Update

magison,

Glad to hear that it's running. In most casses cleaning the main jet is all that is required. If you do need to do a tear down of the carb latter it's not that hard to do. It's pretty simple and strait forward and were here if you need guidance. Glad to be of help.

God Bless,
Dave237