Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Harmony Self Propell Repair Help

Visiting Guest

09-02-05, 09:00 AM   #1  
bbraves
Honda Harmony Self Propell Repair Help

Hi foks.

I have a 10 year old Honda HRM215 XSA self propelled 21" mower that refuses to turn off the self propelling mechanism. It's on all the time. I found that the return spring for the clutch lever between the bottom wheels is gone and I'd like to go ahead and replace the control cable as well since it's frayed.

The trouble is that I can't see where the spring should go. I looked up the part at Plano Power Equipment, but it only shows the spring - not where it attaches. Any of you experts know where they go?

Also, there must be a way to get to the top of the transmission (where I could see better), but I see no way to do that. You'd have to do it to replace the drive belt, so I know it has to be done once in a while. Any tricks on this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-03-05, 01:57 AM   #2  
Hello bbraves!

I can't totally picture this mower at this moment, but I believe the spring hooks onto a goldish colored metal tab with a bit of a notch on it for the spring to hook onto...possibly a hole for the spring. I remember the tranny being aggravating to access. I think there is a plastic cover held on with 10mm bolts on the top of the mower IF I recall correctly. That may just have been on the HR214 mower though (shaft driven).

Sorry so vague, but I haven't got a book on these mowers. Check back to see if someone else can give some clearer advice.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-03-05, 05:26 AM   #3  
bbraves
Thanks for the reply. You are right as to the brass colored lever, but the darn thing is situated so that I can't see where the other end might go. As far as I can tell, there's no access panel to the transmission, but I'll look again.

Thanks!!

03-19-07, 08:29 AM   #4  
Same Problem

My Harmony got stuck in gear yesterday. How hard is it to get to the spring and cable where it goes down into the deck? The spring and cable look fine at the top. For some reason it won't return to disengage the drive. Do you have to remove the plastic deck?
--Hop

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-19-07, 09:14 PM   #5  
If I recall correctly, you have to remove the transaxle to access it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

03-20-07, 06:58 PM   #6  
If you are talking about the one with the composite deck, you need to remove the rear deck baffle. Once thats out of the way then access to the transmission is not too bad.

I believe there are 4 bolts holding it on, (2) of them are the bolts holding down the back of the engine, one on the left side behind the rear wheel assembly, and one underneath that screws into a little metal plate that you can see in the bottom of the discharge tunnel. (spray some lube on that one). Once the baffle is out of the way access to the cables and springs on the tranny is fairly good.

Hope this helps, best of luck

Search this Thread