Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

john deere saber, electrical help needed

09-03-05, 08:52 AM   #1  
john deere saber, electrical help needed

I have a john deere saber, ridind mower.

The other night, i was riding and noticed no lights, so I stopped and looked and noticed one of the lights had falled out and the plastic light bulb and holder fell out onto the muffler pipe, melted some, but was still working.

I noticed the other light bulb was bad, so I replaced. I and i taped the light bulb and holder back on the socket.

They worked and I continued mowing, about 10 minutes later, no light at all. I checked bulbs good, I have no electricty going to the wires now.

I checked with a voltmeter, while engine running.

I followed the wired from the harness, one goes to a ground, right front engine moutning bolt, the other wire, yellow goes to a pin connector and there is a red wire also, this is a 2 pin connector, that connects to a red and black wire that lead to under to fly wheel.

I would have to take off the fly wheel to see where it leads. It does not lead to coil or starter or anywhere else that I can see.

Before I take off the fly wheel, I was wondering if someone knows what this goes to ? and what might have happened ?

Sporty

If you have not worked on a john deere saber or ran into this before, no reply needed.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-04-05, 01:09 AM   #2  
The wire goes to the charging stator under the flywheel. Did you check for power at this connection? Are the wires burned from the muffler?

Incidentally, I have worked on Sabres before, but this problem has nothing to do with what kind of mower you have. It pertains to the engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-04-05, 01:10 PM   #3  
odd enough,

I didnt take the flywheel off, And no wired burned,

But it works now,

im guess the short causes some black corrision on the connector buy the stator and I cleaned them and now it works.

I tell ya i got lucky tho, Cuz usually to take the fly wheel off, i use the metal cooiling fins to wedge something to undo the top bolt, but on the saber the coolong fins are made of plastic.

So with not having to much to get the flywheel to not move while you try and take the bolt off, is a issue i may face in the future.

14.5 hp briggs engine is whats on it.

thanks

sporty

09-04-05, 07:27 PM   #4  
Glad to see that they are working now, as for the flywheel removing technique, I wouldn't recommend it at all, even if it does work. I would spend the money on a flywheel puller and the appropriate socket and socket wrench, if the fins are broken, then they can lead to trouble.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-05-05, 12:19 AM   #5  
I agree, using the fins to hold the flywheel is the worst way you can do this. An impact wrench is the best way to take the nut off. A strap wrench will do well also (for holding the flywheel).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread