16.5 HP B&S Craftsman Lt1000

Old 09-04-05, 05:51 PM
CMA22inc
Visiting Guest
16.5 HP B&S Craftsman Lt1000 running rough at idle.

Grettings,

I have a Craftsman 16.5 hp 42' cut Lt 1000 Lawn mower that is giving me problems.

Here is the story.

Wife left the gas can out in the rain and forgot about it. Need less to say the next time she put gas in the mower there was water in the gas.

I removed all the bad gas from the mower and disasembled and cleaned the carb. I have also replaced the fuel filter and spark plug as they needed it anyway.

I was able to get the mower working again but, no matter what I seem to adjust (idle screw, carb idle mixture value) the mower runs rough, misses, and or backfires at idle speed. Once the mower deck is on and the RPMs are at mowing speed the engine runs better but, you can still here it miss faintly.

What else can I do to get the idle speed and engine to run better.

Model: 917-27163
Briggs Engine

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-05, 07:09 PM
Most people removes the water from the carb.,but forget all about the water is still in the fuel tank.If you didn't drain and re-fill the fuel tank all the carb.work in the world wont do any good.Did you remember the fuel tank??Sounds to me like water.

Old 09-04-05, 08:05 PM
CMA22inc
Visiting Guest
Water

Yeah I completly drained the entire fuel system, tank, lines, filter, and carb. let it all dry out and replaced with new gas from a new gas can.

Old 09-04-05, 08:33 PM
CMA22inc,

I understand your plight. Briggs engine number is important however, without such I would suggest the following:

If you have the bolt (fixed main jet) in the bottom of the carb bowel; remove it and clean (with fishing line),carb cleaner and compressed air; the small holes at the base also, replace or clean your air filter. Post back with results.

God Bless,
Dave237