Craftsman 18 hp Lawn Tractor Problem

Old 09-07-05, 12:22 PM
Lesley Mae
Visiting Guest
Craftsman 18 hp Lawn Tractor Problem

Never thought I'd have to post again, but, here I am. My Craftsman 18 hp Lawn Tractor has the same problem I reported 3 or 4 weeks ago. The belt has come off the pulley for the 3rd time. My repairman is totally puzzled as to why this keeps happening. It is the same thing every time. Do I get him to replace the pulley or what else might be the solution? This is now beyond frustrating. I've had the lawn tractor since 2001 and never had a problem but now this keeps occurring. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-05, 12:53 PM
I did not see you're earlier posts,

So I dont know what was already talked about,

I do not know you're make and model,

So I dont know if you have springs or not (tension), they may be week.

Is the belt with the same as the old one, not length but width.

The pulley wheels, how are the bearings ? if you can reach in and spin and wiggle them, is there much wobble or up and down movement.

Sporty

Old 09-07-05, 02:15 PM
Lesley Mae
Visiting Guest
My repairman hasn't checked the bearings as of yet. The model of the lawn tractor is Craftsman LXT 1000 18 hp Lawn Tractor. I hope he'll be over to have yet another look tonight. He's been able to put the belt on when it happened the last two times so what he'll say this time I can't even predict. To say this is extremely frustrating is putting it mildly. It's obvioius he's going to have to look closely at it because I can't keep calling him every time I need to mow the lawn. Maybe if I had tons of money I could keep him on exclusive retainer but the reality is completely different. I'll have to see what he has to say. I could just scream this is so annoying. I guess the only good thing right now is no one can drive it away so at the moment, it is a glorified lawn ornament!

Old 09-07-05, 11:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I will assume that the tranny belt is the belt that keeps coming off since you said it won't move. Now, is it hydro or standard tranny? Which pulley does it keep coming off of? Is this a new belt? Original equipment belt, or one matched up at a parts store?

Old 09-15-05, 08:13 PM
Lesley Mae
Visiting Guest
Craftsman 18 HP Lawn Tractor Problem

Sorry I haven't replied. I've had computer problems and couldn't log on. The problem seems to be the drive belt coming off the pulley. It is an original equipment belt. I've never had any problems since the lawn tractor was purchased in 2001. Once the belt is pulled back on it stays for at least one mow but then pops off again. It is a hydrostatic transmission. It is frustrating to say the least. I was able to mow 3 days ago without incident, but I will soon have to mow again. The odds aren't good that the belt will stay on but I'll cross my fingers! My neighbour suggested it might be that the pulley needs to be tightened so I'll run that by my repairman when I see him again. I think he's going to order another drive belt. It definitely isn't the mower belt. That is working just fine (knock on wood!). If my computer has smartened up, I'll check back shortly. With "modern technology", specifically computers, one never knows!

Old 09-16-05, 01:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Which pulley is it coming off of? If it's the tranny pulley, try bending the belt keepers in toward the belt just a bit.

Old 09-23-05, 08:15 AM
Lesley Mae
Visiting Guest
Craftsman 18 HP Lawn Tractor

It's the main drive belt that keeps popping off. I don't know if it is the tranny pulley. The mower belt hasn't been a problem. I've mowed a couple of times (with my fingers crossed needless to say!) and not had any more problems. I have to mow today so again I'll have my fingers crossed. I'll check in after I mow later this afternoon. All suggestions are very much appreciated.

Old 10-03-05, 09:55 AM
Lesley Mae
Visiting Guest
Craftsman 18 hp lawntractor problem

Well it has been a while since I last posted, and I have mowed at least 3 times without incident. I'm about to mow this afternoon taking advantage of Indian summer! My repairman will be replacing the drive belt that seems to have been causing the problem. Hopefully I will be able to breathe easier and not have to fear getting stopped in my tracks! If replacing the main drive belt solves the problem, I'll post to let everyone know I have finally achieved sucess. Thanks for all advice offered! It is very much appreciated!

Old 10-16-05, 10:59 AM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
yea i used to have a 16hp LT 1000 Craftsman and it had the same problem you had. the belt popped off all the time i just reached under there and put the belt back on with my hand in about 4 min. I cant tell you much about why it caused this problem. i would assume it was a wore out drive belt or the clutch pulley not tensioning the belt enough. but i dont have that lawnmower no more