Gas in my mower oil?

Old 04-24-00, 07:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

When I checked the oil level in my lawn mower, a full cup of oil gushed out. It seemed thin and light colored. The oil is only 3 weeks old. Did gasoline get into my oil? How? What should I do about it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-00, 06:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:Randy H

Gasoline in the oil is a possibility.
Since you didn't mention when you noticed this <right after a recent oil change or after the engine has been sitting unused for a long time, etc.> I'll make some assumptions here.

If you recently changed the oil, change the oil again. It's possible too much oil was added the first time. This time, accurately measure the amount of oil added with the mower level and try this again.

If the engine has been setting for a long period of time, the carb may overflow slightly and the fuel went into the combustion chamber, drained down into the crankcase.

Good Luck

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 06-18-04, 04:09 PM
miken586
Visiting Guest
Hard starting Craftsman 3.0 edger

I'm also having a problem starting a Craftsman edger. I have flushed out the gas from the tank, cleaned the spark plug, and replaced the air filter. It seems to flood out the carburator when the tank is filled. It will start, but it takes 5-10 pulls, and quick start fluid is what really helps. When the tank is filled to capacity, the fuel flows out the carburator, and over the filter. Do you have any suggestions? Is there an inline valve or gasket that is failing? The edger is about 3-4 years old, and has given good service so far.
Thanks for the help;
MN

Old 06-18-04, 11:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello!

What is happening here is the carburetor is leaking. The float rises with the fuel level in the carb until it gets full. The needle is connected to the float, and shuts the gas off when it gets full. If the float is not floating (stuck, has a leak in it and is full of gas, etc...) or the needle is not sealing (bad needle valve, bad seat, dirt in the seat area) it will leak and fill the crankcase. Do not run the engine this way. Fix the leak, then drain the oil/gas mixture and refill with oil.

Old 06-19-04, 11:12 AM
miken586
Visiting Guest
Hard starting edger

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll check out the carburator. I was expecting the local Sears to have a rebuild kit for a Carb, but all they carry is tune-up kits, and oil.
Thanks again;
MN

Old 06-19-04, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I Don't know which engine you have, but any small engine shop should have the parts you'll need. It's probably a tecumseh (does it say Eager 1?).

Old 06-20-04, 12:08 AM
miken586
Visiting Guest
Gas in my motor oil?

I'm not sure which motor a Craftsman 3.0 is. But there's a butterfly valve at both end of the carburator. I'll drain the engine oil anyway, its time is up. It doesn't look like any gas got to the crankcase the leak was too fast. The 'float' gasket had a crack in it.
Thanks;
MN

Search this Thread