MTD yard machine not running

Old 05-29-00, 09:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi all hope you can help ?
My 5hp lawn mower starts but then immediatly stops, If I start the mower and then keep pushing the primer button it will run BUT only for as long as I keep pushing the button. I have fresh gas in the tank.
any help would be appreciated.
Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-00, 05:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:Tonyeo

Very good discription of the problem. We can be sure fuel is at least getting to the carb but not thru the carb.

The carb is plugged. You'll either need to remove it and clean out all the jets and ports or have it done at your local lawn mower repair shop.

I have posted prior, the basics on carb repairs. Check the archives in this forum.

After the carb is correctly rebuilt and adjusted, the engine will run fine.

Most likely the engine has not been used for a long enough period of time, which allowed the old fuel in the carb to evaporate. The resulting condition left behind varnish and sludge which plugged up the fuel ports. A common problem when engines are not used often.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician
Accurate Power Equipment Company

Old 06-08-00, 08:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Most likely the engine has not been used for a long enough period of time, which allowed the old fuel in the carb to evaporate. The resulting condition left behind varnish and sludge which plugged up the fuel ports. A common problem when engines are not used often.

So how can I stop this problem in the future ?, before I stored the lawnmower for winter I put in stabil, The lawnmower also run for my first cut of the year and fresh gas was put in at that time.

Tonyeo

Old 08-02-04, 09:53 AM
Burl
Visiting Guest
yard machine not running

Hi,
I found this group while looking for information on where to purchase
yard machine parts. My riding mower will not start--I had someone look at it and was told the carborator was no good. Does anyone here know where I can purchase one and how much they generally go for? Or, after reading some of the posts here, I'm starting to wonder if I too may have luck with cleaning. How is that done?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I'm new to this so, please email respones to [email protected]
If that's not convienent, I will attempt to check for responses here

Old 08-02-04, 03:02 PM
Burl,
This is an old thread but I'll help you out here. It's rare that a carburetor needs replacing, only if it's broken or rusted heavily. Which, if either, is your case? What engine and more specifically, what are the ID #'s from the engine? These will help us help you better.

Old 08-03-04, 06:52 AM
Burl
Visiting Guest
puey61,
Thank you--I am a bit green in matters of "threads" and the like so, I apologize for posting here. But I am glad that you found me and are willing to help. I am going to retrieve the information you requested and will post again when I get it--most likely this afternoon of tomorrow. As to the condition of the carburetor itself, no, it is not heavily rusted or broken--maybe there's some hope for me yet! Thanks again
Burl