Briggs & Stratton muffler stem removal

Old 09-10-05, 10:54 AM
Poltergeist97
Visiting Guest
Briggs & Stratton muffler stem removal

The muffler on my 3.5 horse Briggs lawn mower fell off and I need to remove the stem that remains in the engine block. Anyone have any ideas how to get it loose and out before I resort to the cutting torch?

Thanks.

Old 09-10-05, 12:02 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Poltergeist97,

The muffler pipe that is in the block should be a threaded screw in type. Please, no torch! You will need to soak the threads with lots of WD-40 or liquid wrench. Then carefully unscrew counter clock wise with locking pliers or drill a hole through the pipe and use a heavy screw driver to unthread it. Do your best not to damage the block or threads.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 09-10-05, 03:08 PM
S
Yeps, this job can be a pain to do,

patience

patience

patience

Lots of soaking with rust penatrator.

They dont come out easy, but do come out with work and effort and patience.

sporty

Old 09-10-05, 06:01 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
PB Blaster penetrant seems to work better for me on this type of job, and a bit of heat applied with a Mapp torch always does wonders. I would avoid the cutting torch unless funds are avaliable for a new engine LOL

Old 07-09-13, 05:58 PM
I
I used a 2inch C-clamp

I know this is about 8 years too late for yall but I used wd-40 and a pipe wrench to no avail. I then got a 2 inch clamp and seated it on both sides of the flange,tightnened it and gently tapped it with a rubber mallet. It moved and then i removed it and lather,rinse and repeat a few times I was able to remove the stem with my fingers. Hope this works for anybody else with this problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: