Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton muffler stem removal

Visiting Guest

09-10-05, 10:54 AM   #1  
Poltergeist97
Briggs & Stratton muffler stem removal

The muffler on my 3.5 horse Briggs lawn mower fell off and I need to remove the stem that remains in the engine block. Anyone have any ideas how to get it loose and out before I resort to the cutting torch?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

NC

09-10-05, 12:02 PM   #2  
Poltergeist97,

The muffler pipe that is in the block should be a threaded screw in type. Please, no torch! You will need to soak the threads with lots of WD-40 or liquid wrench. Then carefully unscrew counter clock wise with locking pliers or drill a hole through the pipe and use a heavy screw driver to unthread it. Do your best not to damage the block or threads.

God Bless,
Dave237

09-10-05, 03:08 PM   #3  
Yeps, this job can be a pain to do,

patience

patience

patience

Lots of soaking with rust penatrator.

They dont come out easy, but do come out with work and effort and patience.

sporty

Visiting Guest

09-10-05, 06:01 PM   #4  
DNT1
PB Blaster penetrant seems to work better for me on this type of job, and a bit of heat applied with a Mapp torch always does wonders. I would avoid the cutting torch unless funds are avaliable for a new engine LOL

IL

07-09-13, 05:58 PM   #5  
I used a 2inch C-clamp

I know this is about 8 years too late for yall but I used wd-40 and a pipe wrench to no avail. I then got a 2 inch clamp and seated it on both sides of the flange,tightnened it and gently tapped it with a rubber mallet. It moved and then i removed it and lather,rinse and repeat a few times I was able to remove the stem with my fingers. Hope this works for anybody else with this problem.

Search this Thread