B&S 6.5hp engine hard to start

Old 09-11-05, 12:46 PM
rupe
Visiting Guest
B&S 6.5hp engine hard to start

Can only start 6.5hp BS engine using starter fluid; have cleaned carb. (no adjustment screws on carb.)
Once started, engine runs fairly well.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-05, 04:47 PM
new carb kit, if you have already cleaned it,

Is there a inline fuel filter ? or in the tank. Sometimes, they get partially clogged and makes it harder for the fuel to come thru it, without more vaccum.

Or could be a little dirt in the jet path ways.

sporty

Old 09-11-05, 11:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello rupe!

I wouldn't worry with building the carb just yet if it is running fine once started. I would reccomend replacing the gasket between the carb and the air filter cover. The primer circuit passes through here and this is often a place for the prime pressure to be lost due to a leak.

Old 09-17-05, 03:22 PM
GaSo
Visiting Guest
I have a 6.5HP B&S too.

Mine is hard to start, and then usually runs fine, but after it gets pretty hot it starts making some pretty sad sounds under heavy load, pings and knocking? Metallic nasty noises.

When I pull the spark plug, it always looks pretty light, nearly white.

I'm thinking its lean.

I can't find a fuel filter.

Anything to check before replacing the little bits of the carburator?

Thanks,
G

Old 09-17-05, 07:08 PM
a good tan is good....... especially dry.. i believe it has a little screen at the gas line nipple on the tank, like much others and can get covered in all sorts of stuff and flow bad, one thing that will cause a hard start, is that gasket between the air cleaner box and the carb, a bad primer maybe? other then the already there hole. also metallic noises? check the oil and make sure of no metal flakes if thats the case.....anything hit recently? make sure the oils full and fresh. the carb ( quantum right? ) the newer one wouldn't have carb adjustments, so they are preset. carbs pretty simple.

Search this Thread