Ariens Snowblower Without Wheel Differential ?

Old 09-11-05, 05:19 PM
Ariens Snowblower Without Wheel Differential ?

Hello:

Have an old Ariens snowblower that came with a wheel differential, and a wheel differential on/off differential lock.
You could either use it with the differntial engaged, or without (the wheels would be "locked" together).

Always kept it in that true differential mode, and very rarely would I find the need to "lock" both wheels together.

Anyway, my son just bought a new Ariens 7524 Compact model, and it looks like they did away with the differential. You can either have both wheels always locked (sems like the "default" position) or unlock either wheel which would allow that wheel to free-spin on the axle. No True differential, though.

What do most folks use for typical snowblowing with cheapened new models like this ?
Just keep the 2 wheels locked all the time ?

A little confused, as having both wheels locked seems like it would be hard to use as the tires would have to skid for any turns, but unlocking one wheel doesn't seem too great either.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-05, 03:03 AM
Without a true differential drive, I'd keep both wheel pins in the engaged postion. If you were to only pin one wheel, only that wheel will do the driving which will make it tend to pull in the opposite direction if any resistance is encountered. You have to go to a dealer to get a true diff drive unit with those being what Ariens labels "Pro" units.

Old 09-16-05, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Robert111
Hello:

Have an old Ariens snowblower that came with a wheel differential, and a wheel differential on/off differential lock.
You could either use it with the differntial engaged, or without (the wheels would be "locked" together).

Always kept it in that true differential mode, and very rarely would I find the need to "lock" both wheels together.

Anyway, my son just bought a new Ariens 7524 Compact model, and it looks like they did away with the differential. You can either have both wheels always locked (sems like the "default" position) or unlock either wheel which would allow that wheel to free-spin on the axle. No True differential, though.

What do most folks use for typical snowblowing with cheapened new models like this ?
Just keep the 2 wheels locked all the time ?

A little confused, as having both wheels locked seems like it would be hard to use as the tires would have to skid for any turns, but unlocking one wheel doesn't seem too great either.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

The Pro models have an automotive style differential. The Compact and Deluxe models have a free-wheel.

The older ones unlocked on the hub. The 2006 models have the disconnect mounted on the handlebars.

Most people use them with the wheels locked, but if it's light snow and relatively flat they work just fine with the wheel free. They're certainly a lot more manueverable that way, at the expense of traction.