Murray lawn tractor will not start

Old 09-12-05, 12:12 PM
laro
Visiting Guest
Murray lawn tractor will not start

I have a Murray lawn tractor 11hp/36 cut that is over 10 years old. The lawn tractor will not start. I have replaced the starter solenoid with no results. I have power to one solenoid terminal. If I put a wire to the terminals on the starter solenoid I can get the starter to turn. Can you help with this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-05, 12:53 PM
you say it will turn over ?

Really need more info, is it getting fuel ? spark ?

Hows the key switch ? i have seen these go out before,

sporty

Old 09-12-05, 01:44 PM
laro
Visiting Guest
Lawn tractor will not start

When I turn the key I get nothing but I can get the starter to turn if I put a wire from one terminal to the other on the starter solenoid.

Old 09-12-05, 07:36 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
You probably have a bad or misadjusted safety switch if you are not getting the starter engaged and have replaced the solenoid. I would hazard a guess that there are at least two that have to be checked here? the ClutchBrake safety switch and blade engagement safety switch. This really sounds like a silly question but do you have the blade unengaged and the clutch brake pedal fully depressed when trying to start it? OK I knew you did LOL lets bypass those safety switches one at a time to determine if they are the culprit, if not then you most likely have a bad key switch. Good Luck

Old 09-12-05, 11:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be a bad keyswitch, safety switch, blown fuse, or wiring problem. Do you have a voltmeter or test light?