help w/trimmer

Old 09-25-00, 05:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

my grass trimmer (homelite) has a frozen motor.i can't pull the starter cord. is there any way i can lube or oil the motor and let it penetrate for a while? what would you do, besides buying a new one?

Old 09-25-00, 06:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi:betty b

You didn't mention why the engine is frozen.

However, I suspect it was do to running it on gasoline without the oil. If this is the case, chances are the engine has internal damage not worth fixing.

If it's only frozen from a long peroid of non useage, it may still be okay but not likely either.

Try removing the spark plug, squirting oil in the cyclinder and allowing it to remain there overnight. Then attempt to pull the starter rope.

You may also try inserting a round piece of wood, etc. into the cyclinder hole and tapping down in it with a small hammer.

If the piston is not already bottomed out, it may break loose. If not you'll have to attempt this oil overnight again and tapping and pulling on the starter rope in hopes of freeing it up.

I have been able to free up a frozen engine before. Several continued to run fine after that. Hopefully you'll have the same luck.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.

[This message has been edited by Tom_Bartco (edited September 25, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: