Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Peerless Transaxle 920 no bearings

Visiting Guest

09-12-05, 07:56 PM   #1  
DNT1
Peerless Transaxle 920 no bearings

I just opened up the case on a Peerless 920-005A 6 speed transaxle out of a Murray. Both the wheel axles had lots of play in the housing and had leaked most of the grease out, the trans was very noisy. Boy was I surprised when I popped it open, the casting was made to accept bearings but they were never installed I looked up the trans info and they are shown on the parts breakdown schematic as part no 73 74 and 75 but are not listed in the parts list, apparently it was a option to have these installed LOL I guess Murray decided that without the axle bearings it would last as long as the other parts of the machine (probably true in most cases) unfortunately they did not realize that someone would make it there mission to keep this 20 year old unit running. Now both axles have ground deeply into the housing and I need a couple of bearings, it looks like that would center the axles back up nicely and the ends are still good enough to accept the seal so should be good to go, the local supplier said he did not list the parts. I guess I will take the housing to a local bearing supplier and see if they have something that will work. I was wondering if anyone else had ran into this problem and solved it HELP yeah I think I already know the solution, it was at the dealer on the display floor, a 6 thousand dollar zero turn SCAG tiger cub uh huh yowzee what do you boys think of those scag units??

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-12-05, 11:51 PM   #2  
The scags are nice. I personally would prefer a front deck mower with a diesel....or a tractor with a finish mower. Less maintainence.

Mine is a Kubota 3 cylinder diesel front deck mower.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

09-14-05, 02:59 AM   #3  
I've run into this many times here at my shop and the only fix would be to replace the case halves...nearly $200 for the two. Your best option is to find a good used 900-series Peerless or compatible unit.

Search this Thread