Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generator ground

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-16-00, 05:42 AM   #1  
I just bought a portable generator (5000W) and am curious about grounding. Obviously it will be run outdoors, and I will only be using it for emergency power. The problem is, the book that came with it only BRIEFLY mentions grounding, and it's a generic users manual. The recommendation is to drive a rod 8 ft (minimum) into the ground and run a ground wire to it. Am I wrong, or does this seem excessive? That doesn't make it very portable, either... Also, it doesn't mention what guage wire to run between the generator and ground source. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-16-00, 05:54 PM   #2  
Hi:rrakows

Your absolutely right...8 feet is excessive and doesn't make a portable generator very portable...hahaha

Anyway, what I suggest you do is use a steel rod like a piece of rebar about 3 foot in length. Sharpen one end to a point and carry it with the generator.

When you want to use the generator, pound the rod into the soil about 2 feet and clamp on the grounding wire.

For grounding wire I used ordinary 12 gauge wire found in a left over length of romex house wire. Cut the romex casing and remove one wire for this.

There should be a place to attach the wire on the generator using a crimp fitting on one end of the grounding wire. On the other end of the wire I installed a one inch wide grounding alligator clamp. This is available at any hardware store.

If you have a clothes line or old kids swing set etc. in the yard, those poles make an excellent grounding source too.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-06-00, 07:18 PM   #3  
Hi rrakows,

You can buy copper clad grounding rod and clamps at most home centers and hardware stores. I drove a long grounding rod into the ground next to my house where I set the generator when I use it for emergency power.
I also carry a shorter rod along when I am using the generator as a portable power source as Tom suggested. You may want to post this question on the "Electrical" bulletin board for more specifics.Proper
grounding is extremely important.

Andy

Search this Thread