18 hp ohc briggs spark problems

Old 09-13-05, 08:03 PM
18 hp ohc briggs spark problems

Hello again I went to start my tractor lastnight started fine and after 30 sec's it died, At first I thought it ran out of gas so I put in gas, To make a long story short I checked it to see if if was getting gas and it seems to be. I tested the spark on both plugs I seem to go no spark off 1 cyl and a gaint spark off the other, but from what I have read the coil seldome goes out on these things, BTW is is a 18 hp 2 cyl briggs ohc and I would say its at least 10 to 15 years old

Crom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-05, 12:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Crom!

Your problem depends largely on what engine you have. I tried to figure it out by your description, but I'm still not sure. Briggs doesn't make an OHC (overhead cam) engine. They have OHV engines (overhead valve). They also have flatheads. Is yours a V-twin, or opposed twin, or vanguard V-twin?

Old 09-14-05, 08:03 PM
ok its a OHC and its either a opposed twin or a V-twin not knowing the dif I could not tell you. It has a spark plug on either side of the carb. now the funny thing is the next day I went out and it cranked over then backfired and now it runs fine. Think the float was stuck or something ?

Crom

Old 09-14-05, 10:15 PM
ok, v twin, would be in a ( v ) shape, the cylinders making a v. apposed the spark plugs would be opposite each other, cylinders apposing, if it is made by briggs its not a ohc engine, if its a apposed, i would not think it would be a ohv engine either, more then likely side valve... if its a overheadvalve it would say ( ohv ) on the rocker arm covers, if its a side valve, it would just have cooling fins, with a plug sticking out. only true way to test spark is with a spark tester that allows you to change the gap, if it runs fine, well then no worries till it happens again.... but i'd say, 10 to 15 years its due time for a carb rebuild. also make sure the gas cap vents.....

Old 09-14-05, 11:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It can't be OHC. You must be thinking OHV. If that's the case, it's a V-twin. Either way, it's running now, which is good. If you have a problem again with it, get the model# of the engine so we can give you detailed information. There are different ignition systems on these engines and we don't know which style you have without model #s or at least a good description of the engine.

Old 09-16-05, 11:38 AM
Do I keep writeing OHC I ment OHV and I have run it several times after the time it would not start, Just worry me that this is the tractor I will be snowblowing with and if I need to replace parts or have parts that are failing would rather fix it now rather in 10 feet of snow :-)

Crom

BTW I will go down and get the engin model # tonight

Old 09-16-05, 07:04 PM
ok ready 4220707 14401 9409225 is a v twin OHV ( I got it right that time ;-) ) and it did it again today the spark tester I have is not the best but seems to light very little on 1 plug and none on the the other

Crom

Old 09-16-05, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
uhoh...

Recheck the numbers. There are 1 too many numbers in the model # and 1 too many numbers in the type #. If it is 420707, then it is not an ohv engine, nor is it a V-twin. It would be a flathead valve design opposed twin cylinder engine. If this is the case, replace the coil. (both cylinders work off of one single coil on this engine).

Last edited by cheese; 09-16-05 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-16-05, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by crom60
ok ready 4220707 14401 9409225 is a v twin OHV ( I got it right that time ;-) ) and it did it again today the spark tester I have is not the best but seems to light very little on 1 plug and none on the the other

Crom
yeah it sounds like the old side valve L head apposed....... good engine. spark tester your using isn't the right kind, but still getting very little on one, and nothing on the other..... your going to have to take the shroud off anyway, so take that with you to a small engine shop around you.

Old 09-18-05, 11:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any news yet?

Old 09-21-05, 07:59 PM
Yep called the local shop got the magneto and installed it runs great now :-=)

Crom

Old 09-21-05, 09:12 PM
great! glad to hear it.

Old 09-22-05, 01:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Thanks for the update!