won't run

Old 09-18-05, 10:21 AM
chris4me
Visiting Guest
won't run

I have a ridding lawn mower with a 14.5 OHV Briggs & Stratton engine.When I start it I have to put gas in the carbarator,and it will run untill the gas I put in is used up.The gas tank is about half full.I've checked the fuel line and filter,gas goes thru them to the carbrator,but the mower won't run unless I keep putting gas in the carbrator.What can I do to get it to run?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-05, 01:54 PM
does it have a fuel shutoff solenoid, its at the bottom of the fuel bowl....

Old 09-18-05, 02:20 PM
chris4me
Visiting Guest
fuel solonoid

Yes it does have one.Is there a way to check it?

Old 09-18-05, 07:47 PM
you gotta listen good but if it doesn't click when you turn the key over, not all the way if you can but if it doesn't click, its most likely bad, or disconnected somehow?

Old 09-19-05, 02:31 AM
chris4me
Visiting Guest
test it

Does anyone know how to test this solonoid?Or should I just replace it?

Old 09-19-05, 08:04 AM
You'll need to remove it to test it. Beware that you'll lose the fuel (if any) that is in the fuel bowl and possibly more if it happens to be a gravity feed fuel flow (as opposed to fuel pump fed). Using a jumper wire and the tractors battery (provided it is a good battery, that is), touch the body of the solenoid to the ground terminal of the battery, with the jumper wire, connect such first to the positive battery terminal and then to the lead wire from the solenoid. The pin should retract, disconnect the wire at the lead wire and it should release (extend) out. Once determined that it is good, thread it back in place in the carburetor, hook the lead wire back up, turn the ignition switch to the run position and listen for a clicking sound confirming that the wiring to such is operable. If not, you'll have to trace it backwards to determine where exactly the problem exists but is most likely the key switch.

Old 09-19-05, 02:29 PM
chris4me
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thank you for the help.I shall take the carburator apart and clean it good,and then test the soloniod as you guys have suggested and then see if it will start.Thanks again.

Search this Thread