Overheaded Tiller Engine?

Old 09-22-05, 10:34 AM
Overheaded Tiller Engine?

I just bought a Yard Machine 5.5HP front tine tiller from Home Depot. The engine is made by Briggs & Stratton. I didn't notice that I need to fill engine oil before using this tiller. Therefore, it locked up after using an hour. The start rope can't be pulled to start engine. I took it to local service center and they said they need to open it and see whether it is under warranty or not. If it is because of no engine oil to lock up the engine, it isn't covered under warranty. Does anyone know how approciately much it costs to fix it? What are the parts cause this no engine oil failure and cost to buy these parts? Is it easy to fix on my own since I do a lot of fixing my car? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-05, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
You can find a new engine for less than $200 so I would not spend too much money repairing the one you ruthlessly murdered.

I am not sure that the engine used on a Yard Man is worth repairing unless you already have the tools for overhauling a small engine. You may need a gasket kit, piston, rings, connecting rod, crank shaft... Since it probably overheated and scored the piston & cylinder you may have to go to an oversized piston which means boring out and honing the cylinder. The parts are not expensive but when you add them all up and add the cost of the tools you will need (if you don't already have them) it could be more than the cost of buying a new engine.

If you feel like having some fun. Go ahead and take the engine apart (remove the cylinder head and side cover) and try to free up the piston. Oil everything up very well and try tapping/pounding on the piston with a block of wood & hammer to get it moving. You may be able to free up the engine and get it to run for a while. Who knows, it may run for a season or two. Just keep oil in it.

Old 09-22-05, 06:30 PM
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=232934 i would personally go the new engine route myself, since it was a no oil situation

Old 09-23-05, 03:29 PM
you might want to put some oil in this one