Honda Harmony II mower with high idle speed

Old 09-24-05, 10:07 PM
Honda Harmony II mower with high idle speed

Hi. I bought a used replacement motor for my Honda Harmony II HRR216SDA. The motor would start and run, but it runs at very high idle speed even at its lowest throttle setting. I checked all the linkages to the carb and they all seem to be able to move freely. I then removed the 3 bolts that hold the carb in place, didn't see anything that I think could cause the problem. I didn't take the carb apart to look inside or anything because I don't think there's anything wrong with the carb internally because it starts and runs. The problem didn't go away after I bolted the carb back.

Could the problem be the governor not working properly that's connected to the long lever, but I think the governor is inside the engine casing? Is this correct?

I rebuilt a carb on a Brriggs and Stratton motor before, but never ran into a problem like this before.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by kfcm78660; 09-25-05 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Obtain more info
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-05, 04:49 PM
kfcm78660,

You will need to adjust the spring tension on the governor arm. Make sure your throttle linkage is properly adjusted first though.

God bless,
Dave237

Old 09-25-05, 05:10 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. I don't understand. There's a linkage with a spring between the governor arm and the throttle plate/valve, and neither the metal linkage or the spring can be adjusted that I can see. There's another spring attached to the governor arm, but I'm not sure how to adjust this one, either. Could you please elaborate a little more?

Thanks.

Old 09-25-05, 08:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is an idle adjustment screw on top of the carb. If it is not letting the throttle come back to idle, it won't idle. If the throttle is sticking/not closing all the way it will also cause this. There is a spring connected to the governor arm that may need to be adjusted as well.

Old 09-25-05, 09:30 PM
Cheese,

The idle screw is already set to lowest idle speed and the throttle is definitely not sticking. This is a Honda engine and I believe Honda engine has a mechanic governor that sits in the crank case.

Thanks

Old 09-26-05, 04:26 PM
kfcm78660,

You are correct. It is a mechanical governor however, the governor weights inside will control engine speed through the shaft that connects to the throttle by way of the governor lever which is spring loaded. By bending the control arm (connected by springs) to the throttle and governor arm you will affect engine speed. Slightly bend the control arm (not governor lever) in one direction. If engine speeds then bend in the other direction until engine speed decreases. Do this with throttle lever at low position. Iím not sure but there is sometimes a set screw at the base of the control arm that will not allow the engine below a certain RPM. If yours is so equipped you may need to adjust.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 09-26-05, 07:28 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestion. It makes a lot of sense. I think I'm following your directions correctly, but somehow it's still not working properly. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
kfcm78660

Old 09-27-05, 12:35 PM
kfcm78660,

First off; try to manually close the throttle shaft on the carb it's self. You should be able to close it (with your finger) to the point the engine idles. If you cannot; then check the set screw located behind the throttle lever on top of the carb. If still no luck refer to what cheese suggested above.

If you can slow the engine this way then proceed on to looking for a set screw low and behind the control lever. The control lever should have a spring that connects to the governor arm. This set screw must have been moved out and will prevent the engine from idling.

Once you have your engine at idle increase your engine to max with the speed control and readjust the governor control lever by bending in either direction to achieve the proper high speed.

God Bless,
Dave237