Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Generator no power output

Visiting Guest

09-25-05, 11:44 AM   #1  
chriswalter
Honda Generator no power output

I have a Honda EM1800 Generator. I was using it for about 4hrs and it stopped putting out AC power. It cranks and runs perfectly, but AC power doesn't work. The volt meter on the front shows 0. I checked it with a volt meter and it showed 1.7 volts and no DC voltage. Any ideas on what happened?
Thanks in advance for anyones help?

PS: I'm at my neighbors posting this as we are still without power due to Hurricane Rita. He will let me know when I get a reply.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by chriswalter; 09-25-05 at 08:51 PM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-25-05, 08:57 PM   #2  
chriswalter
Doesn't anyone have a thought on what could have happened?

Chriswalter

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-26-05, 04:09 AM   #3  
Chriswalter,

It is possible that the circuit breaker has tripped.
Sometimes it can open without an indication it has.
I believe yours has a lever type breaker.
You could try flipping it on and off vigorously a couple of times, also check to see if there is a fuse.
Other than this you would need to troubleshoot further by using a meter.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Visiting Guest

09-26-05, 03:57 PM   #4  
chriswalter
Posted By: GregH Chriswalter,

It is possible that the circuit breaker has tripped.
Sometimes it can open without an indication it has.
I believe yours has a lever type breaker.
You could try flipping it on and off vigorously a couple of times, also check to see if there is a fuse.
Other than this you would need to troubleshoot further by using a meter.
GregH

Thanks for the reply. I did try flipping the lever back and forth I even tried turning it off and starting it back up with the lever off and after it ran for a couple minuets I tried turning it on and nothing happen. I did use a volt meter to check voltage and with the lever off I got a reading of 0 volts and with the lever on I got 1.7 volts AC I also checked the DC and got 0 volts there. What else can I check with the volt meter?

thanks
Chriswalter

NC

09-26-05, 04:47 PM   #5  
chriswalter,

Check for continuity through the circuit breaker. Use your ohms scale set to x1 range. This will be the most likely fault. You can also check for voltage on the input of the breaker however, this would require an up close and in the box maneuvering witch is very dangerous. The safe way is using your ohm meter. If you do not obtain a reading with the ohm test then assume your breaker is bad. "DO NOT" do the continuity test with the generator running!!!!

God Bless,
Dave 237

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-26-05, 05:41 PM   #6  
Chriswalter,

The suggestions I had were about all you can do without opening things up.
I am reluctant to offer advice on checking internal components without knowing that the person checking has the ability to do it safely.
We cannot cover every safety consideration in a forum such as this.

Having said this you could check for continuity through the cct breaker as suggested by Dave and then what would be helpfull after this is a schematic to be able to identify potential problems.
I personally don't know how your generator is set up but with the schematic as a guide you could look for things like a circuit board fuse, a diode or even isolate the windings to see if they are burnt out.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

01-17-07, 09:27 AM   #7  
Better late than never?? Don't like to rain your purade, but I have three of these with same problem (two EM1800, and one Em2500. I have torn 1 part and completely checked circuitry excepting the master module that controls voltage output. Ther isn't any tests a person can perform on these other than substituting with a known good module to check rest of the opertation of the genny.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

01-24-07, 02:37 PM   #8  
Being that the post is 1 1/2 years old, he probably replaced the whole shebang..

Search this Thread