Lawnboy DuraForce Silver Pro (6.5hp?)

Old 09-26-05, 04:02 PM
Lawnboy DuraForce Silver Pro (6.5hp?)

I am continually frustrated with this refurb from Home Depot. Unfortunatly I have had it for 1.5 years which is probably too late to take it back.

Anyhow... today I can't get it to idle any faster than "low". Meaning it is just high enough to stay running until I try to engage the self propelled feature.
Then it sputters until it dies. I cleaned the airfilter and gas cap hole and changed the plug early this spring. Every now and again it will belch gas and oil from it's muffler.

Once it does run, the engine surges (fast--slow--fast--slow)

I can safely say I hate my mower and will never buy another LawnBoy again.

However, I'd like to get through this mowing season. Any help?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 04:34 PM
cooderbrown,

What type of engine is it? Reply with the type and model numbers. It sounds like you will need to disasimble and clean your carb.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 09-26-05, 05:17 PM
I will go look...

Old 09-26-05, 05:27 PM
All it says is Duraforce Silver Series 6.5 horsepower. The model is LawnBoy no.10324 serial 230005698 if that helps.

I found the manual and it really provides no help. I could probably clean the carb if I had something to follow.

You mix the gas and oil - is that a two stroke?

Old 09-27-05, 12:17 PM
cooderbrown,

Yes. This is a two cycle. I'm a 4 cycle guy. Two cycles are not my strong point however, Cheese or Puey should way in by tomorrow. They can lead you in the right direction on this one.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 09-28-05, 01:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lawnboys are generally pretty strong and durable. Buying a refurb is probably where the problem originates. (someone bought it, probably didn't know it was a 2 stroke and didn't add oil to the gas and burned it up...then someone repaired it enough to make it run again and it was sold as a refurb....my guess anyway).

I would say you have either a carburetion problem, or a clogged exhaust or exhaust port. You could try removing the muffler and look in the engine exhaust port for carbon buildup. If none, cover your ears and start it and see if it runs good. If so, the muffler is restricted. If not, look into removing and cleaning out the carburetor.

Old 10-03-05, 12:36 PM
I fixed the problem!

Went out and bought a 6.75hp Briggs a Stratton mower... had one a few years ago that was a tank and ran forever.

The lawnboy went to a grateful man who will fix it and resell.From what I was told - it is a carb problem.

Not my problem anymore!

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-03-05, 03:20 PM
cooderbrown,

I hear you! The carb is a simple repair and I'm sure it will be up and running. I can find no fault with your Briggs selection. They are (IMHO) the best buy for the money and if serviced will in most cases, out last their owners. Thanks for keeping us posted.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 10-03-05, 08:17 PM
nice going..... the briggs will last you a long time, just be sure to change the oil properly and check it often. every one i own has a briggs, they will last a long time and hardly give any problems..... and i have em from the 80's to 2005, 7 of em in all.