Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tehcumseh 3.5 mower problem

Visiting Guest

09-29-05, 05:27 PM   #1  
jlwags_1
Tehcumseh 3.5 mower problem

I have and el-cheapo mower with a T 3.5 engine with a primer pump for starting, about 5 years old. It had started well all year, but I did have to adjust the idle screw on the carb a couple times to get it to run after starting. Yesterday it would start but not continue running unless I kept priming. So, I thought I'd take off the bulb and make sure everything was clean and getting gas. After I got it together, I couldn't pull the cord. Pulled the spark plug out and the cylinder was full of gas. Took it apart again, let it dry out, and put it back together. Now I can pull it, but gas started coming out of the muffler and it wouldn't fire.

So, learned my lesson about taking stuff apart I know nothing about, but then again how are you ever going to learn? Anyway, does anyone know what I did wrong or how I can fix it?

Thanks for any help,
John

Sponsored Links

NC

09-29-05, 05:42 PM   #2  
jlwags_1,

You did nothing wrong here. You were just not aware of the awkwardness of these carbs. You most likely will need to remove the carb and give it a very thurogh cleaning per your original problem however; for now, loosen the main jet bolt on the bottom of the carb bowel. Turn the bowel 1/4 turn then back to its original position. Retighten the bolt. This should stop the inlet needle leak. Be aware that when you loosen the bolt you will get fuel flowing out. Make sure you clean up all the spillage before cranking.

If this stops the fuel flow then proceed to an oil change. Your engine oil is diluted with raw gas. Change it with fresh oil. You may have to crank on it a while to get the cylinder clear of gas but once clear, if all be well it should fire.

God Bless,
Dave237

Visiting Guest

09-29-05, 05:47 PM   #3  
jlwags_1
Thanks,

The bowl is shaped such that I have a minimum amount of rotation. I did notice there was a ridge in the bottom of the bowl and tried to line it up with the jet. I will continue to fiddle with it until it stops over-fueling.

John

NC

09-29-05, 06:00 PM   #4  
jlwags_1,

The bowel will have an air pocket if it went dry. By loosening the bolt and rotating you will void the trapped air. You should remove the bolt jet while you pinch off the fuel supply. Clean the tiny holes at the base of the bolt. This will fix the original problem. Replace as previous. This should cure your trouble. The dip in the bowel should be under the inlet needle when rotation is complete.

God Bless,
Dave237

Search this Thread