Ryobi 725R Trimmer driveshaft - will MTD make good?

Old 09-30-05, 12:47 AM
Minnesota Dave
Visiting Guest
Ryobi 725R Trimmer driveshaft - will MTD make good?

My Ryobi 725R trimmer is four months old, and the driveshaft broke today -- engine still runs great. No receipt; I usually staple them in the owner's manual, but didn't in this case -- duh!) I took it to a local small engine repair place. The guy said it's very common with these Ryobi models, and the replacement driveshaft ($60 + install unless I do it myself) has a design change that fixes the problem. The $100 total equals what I paid for the thing, and it would be a free warranty job if I had the receipt. He suggested I call MTD and ask if they'll approve the warranty work anyway, considering the design flaw.

Anybody out there have experience with this, or have any suggestions for me (other than keep the receipt!).

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-05, 12:56 AM
Minnesota Dave,

I agree! Beg, Borrow or otherwise complain about the warrenty. It will save you the dime regardless the facts although, no one may hear you at first. The sqweeking wheel gets the oil!

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 09-30-05, 08:40 AM
deanw
Visiting Guest
An authorized MTD service dealer does not automatically need a receipt to complete this repair under warranty. The dealer may use the date of manufacture. Your unit has a non-commercial 2-year warranty. MTD has what is called their 75% rule. If the cost of parts, labor or combination of both exceed 75% of what the retail value of the unit was at purchase, the dealer may call MTD for a replacement unit to be sent out to him. He may then claim 30 min diagnostic for warranty. Have him call his tech support at his distribution center for this information. If he is a warranty center for MTD, he should have received this information at this years 2005 update school.

Search this Thread