Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Echo SRM230 Trimmer will not rev up

Visiting Guest

09-30-05, 01:50 PM   #1  
A-ZParts
Echo SRM230 Trimmer will not rev up

The Echo SRM230 trimmer will not rev up. Its has a carburetor that has no adjustment screws. It rev's about 3/4's the way than wants to bog out. I have cleaned the screen in the exhaust. Installed new fuel filter. And rebuilt the carb. Compression is 140 pounds. I have been told that rebuilding these carburetors is not worth it. Just get a new one. Any other Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-30-05, 03:04 PM   #2  
deanw
Right off I would say check the fuel/oil mixture. The last echo I had ran on 50:1 Some consumers run a richer mix thinking it will make it last longer with this type of outcome. Second, Does this unit have A Walbro Carb? A couple of years ago Walbro had a bad batch of carbs with internal seal problems which had the same symptoms on a whole bunch of MTD units. This year we had a few Troy-Bilt branded MTD units with the same problem and swapping out carbs did the trick. A weak spark could also lead to this. You might just want to change out the plug just to be sure. As far as no adjustments, some carbs have limiter caps over the adjustment screws. In some states (like mine) power equipment is regulated by the EPA and the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) and will fine heafty $$$$$ for messing with the adjustments. Hope this helps.

Dean

Last edited by deanw; 09-30-05 at 04:52 PM.

Visiting Guest

10-01-05, 07:10 AM   #3  
A-ZParts
Echo 230 Trimmer

Posted By: deanw Right off I would say check the fuel/oil mixture. The last echo I had ran on 50:1 Some consumers run a richer mix thinking it will make it last longer with this type of outcome. Second, Does this unit have A Walbro Carb? A couple of years ago Walbro had a bad batch of carbs with internal seal problems which had the same symptoms on a whole bunch of MTD units. This year we had a few Troy-Bilt branded MTD units with the same problem and swapping out carbs did the trick. A weak spark could also lead to this. You might just want to change out the plug just to be sure. As far as no adjustments, some carbs have limiter caps over the adjustment screws. In some states (like mine) power equipment is regulated by the EPA and the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) and will fine heafty $$$$$ for messing with the adjustments. Hope this helps.

Dean
It has a Zama RB70A

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-02-05, 01:12 AM   #4  
Did you soak the carb in a bath-type carburetor cleaner when you rebuilt it? Sounds like a passage is restricted, or possibly the inlet screen is partially clogged.

Note: Don't allow any ruber parts to contact the solution.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-02-05, 02:30 PM   #5  
you replace the metal fuel screen in the carb ?

New gas ? right mixture ?

new plug ?

If done, please do so, hows the fuel filter in the gas tank look ?

and the fuel lines ?

If done or all checks out, take the carb back out and spray into the inlet and outlet wholes, with carb cleaner or wd 40, one little spec can cause a problem.

sporty

Visiting Guest

10-03-05, 05:45 AM   #6  
A-ZParts
Posted By: sporty982000 you replace the metal fuel screen in the carb ?

New gas ? right mixture ?

new plug ?

If done, please do so, hows the fuel filter in the gas tank look ?

and the fuel lines ?

If done or all checks out, take the carb back out and spray into the inlet and outlet wholes, with carb cleaner or wd 40, one little spec can cause a problem.

sporty
Yes all new parts in carb. gas mix OK. New plug Yes. Also adjusted needle valve after reinstalling. New Lines Yes.
Is there anyway to check the vacuum in the crank case? Could the seals be bad and not getting the right vacuum to work the fuel pump?

10-03-05, 11:33 AM   #7  
the new carb kit would have came with a new gasket for installing the carb to the inlet/outlet.

You mentioned good compression, 140 psi.

Out of curiosity, you got smoke coming out ? colored

want to deterimine, that its not running rich, fuel mixture.

also it there a change at all when at full or partial choke ?

I got 1 more question for you,m you mentioned to adjustment screws, sometimes there is little caps, where you would typically see the adjustment screw at. If you have them.

You can try and pop them off, there should be your screws behind that. if you have this.

If you do indeed have this, just make sure you remember the turns out. to but back to same adjustment. there may ver well be a piece of dirt in there and needs blowed out

another mention, on some choke units, by the air filter, there is a little metal thin piece, that sometimes messes up the choking, but not being in right spot and partially blocking the air way.

hope this helps some,

sporty

Search this Thread