Generator will not "motor up" properly

Old 10-03-05, 09:52 AM
Fishman
Visiting Guest
Generator will not "motor up" properly

Can somone please help me in the adjustments needed to get the governer to operate properly on a 10 hp B & S single cylinder OHV motor with generator?
With the 5500 watt generator my no load starting vltage is 128 and when a 10amp load is connected the output volts drop to 106 volts, it seems that the motor does not "motor up" like it should??
My neighbor used his 4000 watt generator on the same load and his starting voltage was 126 and only droped to 114 with the same 10 amp load??
Thanks for any help out there

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-05, 03:41 PM
Fishman,

Does your engine slow considerably under load? Unless it does I would not think your engine is the problem.

Most of these engines are governed by a spring loaded control lever. This lever may not be free and could be hanging. It will have a link that runs to the throttle flap on the carb.

Do Not Try To Adjust. By increasing/decreasing RPM's you may increase/decrease frequency and this could destroy some motors and transformers and even parts of the generator itself. I suggest contacting the company whom manufactured the unit.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 10-04-05, 07:10 AM
Fishman
Visiting Guest
Re

Dave, thanks for the reply but the motor does not bog down, and the available 110 peak output is rated at 45.8 amps

Old 10-04-05, 11:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, the engine may not be the problem. By adjusting the governor, you will change the frequency (hertz), which could cause damage to some powered devices as dave mentioned. One simple and somewhat accurate way to check the hertz is to connect an old non-digital clock to it while running. Compare this clock to a watch or other clock. Run it for ten minutes and keep track of the second hand. If in ten minutes, it is still in time with the watch TO THE SECOND, then it is at 60 hertz (where you want it to be in the USA). I am not an expert on this, and I don't know how far you can vary from this and still be within acceptable parameters. I would think being off one or two seconds would be ok...but as I said, I'm no expert on that subject.

Old 10-05-05, 01:34 PM
Fishman,

Frequency regulation in the US is +/- .01 percent however, it does not have to be this accurate. +/- 2 percent will do no harm to all but just a few pieces of equipment?

You did not mention where you took your voltage reading however, if it were at the end of a drop cord you could expect that much of a voltage drop due to the resistance of the cord with a 10amp load applied. The voltage drop will be proportional to the current being drawn. The more current the more the drop. A lose or weak connection in the control/junction box could also cause this drop.

It is also possible that your armature has lost some of its magnetic field. There is a post from a year or so ago that gives specific details about recharging the armature. I can locate it for you if you would care to read it. You could also have an internal capacitive/phasing problem that if this be the case will fail sooner than later. As I mentioned earlier I would suggest contacting your manufacture'.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 10-06-05, 08:09 AM
Fishman
Visiting Guest
Re:

Thanks for the reply's, The generator only has 15 hours on it but is 4 years old and my readings where taken from inside the travel trailer. The cord is the same cord that I unplug from my 30 amp service that the trailer plugs into at the garage. The A/C only pulls 9.5 amps. Voltage drop I feel should not be an issue since my neibors 4000 watt generator runs the A/C fine with only a 10 volt drop using the same power cord. I welcome any ideas!!???