Tecumseh lawn mower cuts out while mowing

Old 10-04-05, 05:27 PM
butwb
Visiting Guest
Tecumseh lawn mower cuts out while mowing

I have a one year od Tecumseh lawn mower. When I prime it three times before starting, it starts fine. However, after about five minutes of running it starts to choke and then stalls. If I try to start it up again, it won't.

There is no smoke, no leaking gas, no fumes, ....

However, when I open the gas cap, take it off for about 10 seconds, and then close it....it will start up every time. This seems extremely weird to me.

I was wondering if there might be something in the fuel line? Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be or what I can do to possibly fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 08:10 PM
ok, try it with the gas cap loose, or with a new one, if it stays running, the tanks not venting, it should have a venting gas cap, which may need replacement.

Old 10-06-05, 03:00 AM
Your gas cap should have a funnell-shaped splash deflector and a gasket on the tank side of the cap. I'm going to guess yours is missing. You will need a new cap, Tecumseh part number 37845. This new cap is designed differently and there will be no splash deflector. BTW, look in your tank for the old original components and fish them out.

Old 10-06-05, 05:17 PM
butwb
Visiting Guest
Oh crap...you know what, I think I remember having a inserted piece that fit into the gas cap. I think through the unpacking and my messy garage I misplced it. I will go buy a new gas cap and see if that works. Thanks for the help...