Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

???'s + Ryobi RY30060A vs Poulan Pro PP336

Visiting Guest

10-12-05, 07:47 AM   #1  
JRouer
???'s + Ryobi RY30060A vs Poulan Pro PP336

We currently own an ECHO model with 25.4cc engine(not sure on the HP), but I'm looking to get a side kick for it so we can get more done in a day instead of having one person watch while the other does all the work. We use it to clear paths in our woods, with good sized weeds and brush, and even some small saplings. I'm looking at getting one of the 2 mentioned in the title of this post. They both look practically the same with only a few differences. From what I can see, the Poulan has a 31cc(not sure of the HP sometimes the bigger cc doesn't mean more power) high output chrome cylinder engine and the Ryobi has a 30cc(1HP) dual piston ring chrome cylinder engine. The clutches the Ryobi a centrifugual clutch, the Poulan Heavy Duty Automatic Clutch. The shaft length of the Poulan is 52", and I'm not sure of the Ryobi, but longer is better sine the ECHO is 57 and it's pretty good. Supposedly the Ryobi has an antivibration handle, the Poulan doesn't mention this but it looks the same on both. The Ryobi string attachment uses .095" and has an 18" path, the Poulan .080" with 17" (I've been told you could still use the .095 in it though so I'm not sure that's such a big deal). The Ryobi comes with an 8" 3 spoke brush blade and the Poulan an 8" 4 spoke, but neither would be able to be used for my purpose, I've been told you can get saw blade attachments for them instead which should do the trick, I'm assuming 8", but not sure if either could take bigger say a 9" or 10". Finally the appearance seems that the Poulan is a little heavier built, especially where the coupler is for the split shaft, but looks could be deceiving. I do know that the guard on the Ryobi has an open front and the Poulan as a small guard at the tip which may make it harder to use. But on the + side, the Poulan states that it can take attachments from all sorts of other manufacturers where as the Ryobi doesn't.

I'm looking for someone with some experience or insight as to which would have the more powerful/durable engine, heavier constuction, better features/ease of use.....simply the better buy. Thanks ahead of time for the responses, and sorry for the long read.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-12-05, 09:01 AM   #2  
deanw
sounds like you have done your homework. As long as you are using this purchase as a "sidekick" It would be hard pick between the two. Poulan Pro is manufactured by Electrolux (They also make Weedeater and American Yard Products). The Ryobi is the new line from TTI (Homelite). I have had calls on both of these models for little things like broken shafts, carb adjustment problems, but only on a few occasions and nothing wide spread. As you stated, these are both equipped for brush cutting, but I would tend to lean more towards a one peice shaft when using any type of blade on a geared head. Most of the failures are due to the coupler/cable failing. Another thing to consider is the crankshaft. both of these models have a half crank and an inboard starter. This means the starter is located forward of the engine and the crank is only supported by one bearing. If you are looking for something to last a little longer, I would try to find a unit with a full crank and an outboard starter. This means the starter is located at the rear and the crankshaft is supported by a bearing in the front as well as a bearing in the rear. Like I said though, if it is just for a "sidekick", I woud probably go with the Poulan Pro due to the company being a little more lenient on the warranty repairs. As far as which one is better, I would say these two are about equal.

Last edited by deanw; 10-12-05 at 09:14 AM.

Visiting Guest

10-12-05, 02:13 PM   #3  
JRouer
Thanks for the assistance, since you seem to know quite a bit about them, how do these compare to the ECHO 260 or the ECHO just below that one (I can't remember off hand which we have). Do ECHO's have the dual bearings on the crankshaft? What about HP wise, any idea what they're actually rated at, I imagine the echo even at lower cc's is comparable to the others with bigger engine sizes? Am I able to use saw blades instead of the brush blades they supply? Can I use .095 line in the Poulan like I was told?

Thanks!!!

Visiting Guest

10-12-05, 02:14 PM   #4  
JRouer
Who makes the engines of these models, the design seems similar and they have similar features, might they be from the same manufacturer?

Visiting Guest

10-12-05, 04:07 PM   #5  
deanw
I wouldn't try to compare either the Poulan Pro or the Ryobi to the Echo. The Echo is a commercial grade machine. The Poulan Pro claims to have a more commercial application. I don't beleive the Ryobi claims to have any commercial application. I beleive the next model down from the PAS-260 is the PAS-230. The echo does have a full crank with two bearings. Echo also makes models which are brushcutters with one piece shafts. As far as converting cc to hp, this can be tricky. If I remember correctly, about 15cc to 17cc = 1 hp. There are a bunch of different multiples which factor into your final answer. I try not to do this (it makes my head hurt). The PAS-230 has a 22.8cc engine which I am certain will out-perform and out-live the 31cc Poulan Pro. When it comes to picking line for your trimmer it is always best to follow your owners manuals recommendation. One thing to also consider is if this is a brushcutter application, the geared head will be able to handle the .095 line easily and yes, you can use saw blades which are approved by the manufacturer. As far as where the engines are manufactured, most of the engines are casted overseas and assembled in the U.S. I don't have any information about if the same company makes them but I do know the different manufactures study their competitors machines and design them accordingly. Hope some of this info helps.

10-12-05, 04:20 PM   #6  
if i were you, if you can get it.....get the echo.

Visiting Guest

10-13-05, 06:37 AM   #7  
JRouer
One last question/comment......how are you guys so knowledgable on these things. I'm in the computer field which makes me pretty savy for finding information especially on the web. I tried to find more technical/detailed info on the trimmers including some of the more expensive brands without luck. I even tried contacting the manufacturers themselves a lot of times without a response or a response that doesn't answer the question(s) I'm asking. I really appreciate the responses! Thanks again!

Visiting Guest

10-13-05, 09:04 AM   #8  
deanw
The factories usually will not talk directly to consumers. They (the factories) require service dealers and their parts distribution centers (DCs) to spend quite a bit of money on yearly update training. This is why consumers are referred to a DC and then on to a service dealer. The consumer does not always like the answer they get from the service dealer, but trust me, they are the eyes and ears for the factory and are only acting on what the factory recommends. I am telling you this because some of the members on this site are service dealers and have been repairing OPE in the industry for 15+ years. I have the job of flying to the factories every year and then traveling around my territory instructing update schools for dealers. The information you receive in this forum for the most part, is from years of experience with the product. Good luck with your selection.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-14-05, 01:05 AM   #9  
Good info here, and I can't think of anything to add . This thread is a tidy "crash course" on trimmers. Thanks for the input deanw!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread