Bad Trimmer...can I try to modify it?

Old 10-12-05, 11:54 AM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
Bad Trimmer...can I try to modify it?

I've got a gas Homelite trimmer and ever since it was new it has been very hard to start it. Sometimes you have to pull the cord 13+ times to get it to start and my shoulder cant take it anymore. I've replaced the spark plug several times, the first one was pretty dirty and the second one got dirty pretty quick. Anything I can do bout that?

I also had an idea, tell me if it could work or is it stupid. But can I try to hook up a small battery to a switch to the spark plug to try and help it light up? I got the idea from my propane grill or could I cause some kinda funky explosion? or is my trimmer just not functioning properly?

Last edited by majakdragon; 10-13-05 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Changed wording to fit family Forum
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-05, 04:14 PM
no, wouldn't work........... but as in spark plugs. it gets black and oily? does it smoke alot? it may have been set too rich from the factory. may or may not have adjustment screws labeled H, and L.....for high and low speeds. also your using the 40:1 2 cycle oil mix right?

Last edited by majakdragon; 10-13-05 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Product degradation not allowed in Forums
Old 10-12-05, 05:02 PM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
yup, when it does get going, there's a big puff of white smoke coming out of it and it lasts for a while. and yes, i'm using the 2 cycle oil too...
the spark plug looks like its burnt. not oily, but black. tried taking a toothbrush to it but couldnt scrub off too much of the dry muck.

Old 10-12-05, 08:17 PM
i know your using 2 cycle oil, but what ratio?.....but since it blows big puffs, sounds too rich from the factory.... ok, now on half choke.....blows alot of smoke? and off choke full throttle it blows it as well.....? i'd sit there after its going and warmed up, adjust the adjustment screws a little inwards till it just slightly smokes idling, and full throttle, for both screws if it has two. it may have limiter caps, you might be able to get it right within what those allow....otherwise if not, pop em off if you can. the spark plug should be a good dry grey, also make sure its the same plug numbers as the original.

Old 10-12-05, 09:04 PM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
hrmm im gonna have to check the manual to look for these screws ur talking about..thx!

Old 10-13-05, 02:56 AM
Use a quality synthetic oil such as AMSOIL and mix it at their recommended ratio (typically 50:1) and be sure you use only fresh gasoline not older than 3 months old. It may take some time to "flush" out all the oil apparently in the muffler and possibly the crankcase before you see results.