A Lil Advice For Disassembly

Old 10-16-05, 10:48 AM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
A Lil Advice For Disassembly

Hey, i have this 3 1/2 hp Briggs & Stratton. I know a good bit about small engines, but im taking this engine apart for a learning experience. i just need some help in this. i have taken everything off of it, but when i went to take the top half, oil sump, and the piston casing apart i got fustrated. i am takin it apart to check and learn about internal parts. i took the 6-7 bolts out of the bottom of the egine oil sump and it became loose but i still couldnt get it apart. just need some advice

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-05, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
The head an side cover may stick in place even after the bolts are removed. It may need some tapping/pounding to get it to come free.

You don't want to bang on the engine directly with a hammer (metal to metal), you might dent or crack something. Use a rubber mallet or put a piece of wood between the engine and your hammer.

Old 10-17-05, 12:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello huntingbubba89!

Thomasville GA, huh?! You're my neighbor! If you still have trouble getting it apart with the mallet, look up Cutting Edge in the yellow pages under lawn mower repair and give me a call. If you bring it by, I'll help you get it apart...no charge.

Old 10-17-05, 04:33 PM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Thanks i got it apart this afternoon and figured what the problem was... and cheese where are yall located, do yall sell all kinds of parts, i usually do my business with hatchers but i might start doin business with yall do you know ne about racing lawnmowers? bc im workin on one right now and need help on where to get a larger drive pulley for the engine shaft bc im confused on where to get one or if i have to spend a fortune to get it made at a machine shop. Help?

Old 10-18-05, 01:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't have any high performance parts, or work on racing mowers. I don't want to come across like I'm soliciting here either...Just offering to help. As far as locating a pulley, go to Bearings and Drives on smith avenue or Applied Industrial Technologies on West Jackson st. They have plenty to choose from. I don't reccomend using a cast iron one though.

Glad you got it apart!

Old 10-20-05, 03:42 PM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
Ohhh. alright. Well when i need some help ill ask you or something on here. but its funny how i meet a nieghbor on here. LoL

Old 10-22-05, 09:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That IS odd, especially for a fairly small city like ours. Did you find a pulley yet?

Old 10-23-05, 08:42 AM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
not yet i am still looking but first i have to save some money up. (Limited Money) alrighty, i have put a 4 in pulley on the transaxle to replace the 6 in. stock pulley and i think i should get about a 5 inch on the engine drive shaft do you think this will make it go fast Need some advice

Old 10-23-05, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it will make the top end speed much faster like that if the engine is big/strong enough to get it there. There are lots of things to factor in, like the gear ratio of the transaxle, engine hp and rpm, size of the tires, etc... before you can get a good idea of how much you are actually changing things.

Old 10-28-05, 04:56 AM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
i have a 12hp Briggs & Stratton I/C ima try to leave the transaxle alone....... what size tires would i need im lookin for about 30 to 40 mph
i have 18x9.50x8 on there now

Old 10-29-05, 12:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depends on the gear ratio in the transaxle. If it's around 7:1 in high gear, and the engine runs at 3500 rpm, then the input shaft on the tranny (with a 5 inch pulley on engine and 4" pulley on tranny) would be 4375 rpm. With a 7 to 1 ratio on the tranny, it would put the axle rpm at 625. The size tire you will be using will run close to 5 feet around, so that would move you 3125 feet per minute, 187500 feet per hour, or about 35 miles per hour. Your tire is probably a bit less than 5 feet around, but not by much. This would bring your speed down a bit. If the tire is more like 4 1/2 feet around, then it would bring your speed to around 32 mph. Sounds like you're in the window you're looking for.

Old 11-02-05, 05:27 PM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
so i would try to go with a 5 in pulley on the engine and leave the 4 in pulley on the tranny i have another problem that popped up sunday my tranny skips or jerks when i put stress on it now but it only does it in forward, i sure the crap dont wanna replace the transmission, do you have any idea what the problem is??? when i first got it i took the tranny apart and regreased everything a inspected the the gears and they looked in good condition. i think i have broke a tooth or two of one of the drive gears inside but i havent looked yet. If it is a gear that causes it can i buy a gear seperately instead of buyin a new tranny? Thanks i appreciate the advice you give me

Old 11-02-05, 10:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most likely you have a peerless/tecumseh or spicer tranny. Usually what causes this is the needle bearings for the input shaft come apart and the input gear is able to move away from the ring gear enough that it jumps. Can you wiggle the input shaft on the tranny back and forth? You can buy gears, but they can be tricky to get the right ones. I keep quite a few different ones out of old trannys just to have a good chance of having the right one.

Old 11-05-05, 05:24 PM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
Oh alright, I'll look into as soon as i can get this one murray off sawhorses, i had to replace the drive chain in the tranny and also about a 12hp Briggs tell me what would cause gas leaking into the oil sump i mean i seen that the oil was real thin and i smelt it and i smelt gas i took out the piston to see the condition of it and the rings and they were in fair condition and i dont know what else to think

Old 11-05-05, 08:31 PM
check the fuel float for heaviness, or sloshing, if it has gotten a pin hole, it'll sink, letting fuel by, that or the needle that the float operates isn't fully seating into the seat, seat may need replacing, or needle is worn, or float needs adjustment or the float is sticking. either way, it'll let fuel flow by uncontrolled, eventually traveling through the breather and whatnot

Old 11-06-05, 10:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, the carb is leaking. Needs a float, needle, cleaning, or all the abofe.

Old 11-14-05, 09:05 AM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
Hey Cheese
it was nice to met you and about that transmission you said you have how much fabrication would i have to do in order to put it on ? like moving shifter holes, guards, braces, i am pretty interested in gettin one from you but i will prolly need some help on how to put it on if it takes some fabrication