Winterize Garden Tractor

Old 10-21-05, 01:53 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Winterize Garden Tractor

1st year i've owned a riding mower and about to put it up for the winter. Mower is a Craftsman.
Main question is about the battery. Do i disconnect it and put it on a trickle charge all winter?

Old 10-21-05, 05:49 PM
you could do that with the battery, as for other things, spark plug can be left alone for a couple years, air filter change, of course oil change. if it has a oil filter that as well. where is it going to be stored?

Old 10-21-05, 06:25 PM
C
Stored indoors (unheated garage)

Besides the steps you mentioned I will also empty the fuel or stablize it.

Thanks

Old 10-21-05, 08:30 PM
ahh how could i have forgotten that.....the gas... i guess i'm used to always doing it right off the bat, routine i have. well with fuel stabilizer...one of the well known being Stabil. don't have to drain the gas or run it outta gas if stabilized, if not treated you can run it out. though in a heated or unheated....either one will be fine. leaving it outside or under a tarp outside isn't a good idea, so its great you have a spot for it. but as for outdoors storage, you'll have rust, water and all that to deal with... tarps unless wrapped right letting the water vapor out will condensate.

Old 10-22-05, 09:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
There's a fairly detailed winterization post in the "stickies" near the top of this forum. I'd take the battery out and keep it in a garage or place where it won't freeze, and it doesn't hurt to keep a battery tender on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: