Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B & S Metallic Rapping Sound

Visiting Guest

10-20-05, 05:30 PM   #1  
sparly#9
B & S Metallic Rapping Sound

My 2 year old Craftsman 21" push mower developed a fairly loud metallic rapping sound today. I immediately checked under the deck thinking that the blade had come loose but there were no problems there. Actually no problems visible anywhere... Am I looking at an engine that is about to self-destruct? It sounds like something has come loose or partially broken internally. Should I disassemble the engine to find the problem? The engine starts and runs normally except for the new noise. It says it's a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton but it looks like the size engine that used to be called a 3 or 3.5 HP. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links

10-20-05, 09:13 PM   #2  
they do look about the same size.....was anything hit lately? check the deck to see if the blade my be hitting the sides.....well other then that check for loose stuff. and check the oil.... if it was run low.... must be full or in operating range... would be internal..... if run really low. or a fair amount of gas was in the oil.

Visiting Guest

10-20-05, 09:19 PM   #3  
sparly#9
Nothing has been struck with the blade and nothing appears to be loose. The oil is clean and the level is good. Starting to wonder if the lower engine bearing is starting to fail. I recently sharpened and balanced the blade. Thanks for your response V8.

NY

10-21-05, 02:51 AM   #4  
Make absolutely certain that the blade is centered on the blade adapter well, and in fact the blade is tight. In other words, remove the blade and start over paying close attention to proper installation. You'll need to grunt pretty good to get the blade good and tight.

Search this Thread