MTD mower won't run on middle heights

Old 10-28-05, 11:16 PM
JoeL
Visiting Guest
MTD mower won't run on middle heights

The B&S 12.5 HP stops when the mower is set at the 4th heighest setting, & runs very rough on the 5th setting. It sounds like an intermittent spark plug short. It operates OK at all other heights. When the ignition stop button (from under the deck lowering lever) is depressed the mower operates OK at all heights. I can't find any direct short anywhere, but I don't want to leave the mower blades operational if I get off.

Old 10-29-05, 12:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Is the plunger on the switch touching anything when the mower is in the positions that cause it to run poorly? Check the connections and wiring at the seat switch. Also check the seat switch itself (just 2 metal tabs that touch) to be sure they aren't grounding against anything.

Old 10-29-05, 05:52 AM
JoeL
Visiting Guest
The plunger is completely enclosed and mounted on a connector block. The connector blocked is mounted on the chassis & a plate on the back of the blade lever compresses the plunger when the blades are in the "OFF" position.
The doesn't appear to be any metal to metal contact around the switch & I can't see anywhere that a bared wire can touch the chassis. Doesn't make sense to me either - thanks

Old 10-29-05, 11:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The bare metal tabs I'm talking about are on the seat switch, not the blade switch. The kill circuit runs through the seat switch when the blades are on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: