Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S 6.5 Pull Starter Problem

Visiting Guest

10-30-05, 08:01 AM   #1  
Philly_Bluenose
B&S 6.5 Pull Starter Problem

Hi
I have a garden shredder, powered by a B&S 6.5 engine. I bought it last fall, and used it for one day. It worked fine.

The following day, I couldn't pull the starter cord. It would jam after about 6 inches of pull. It doesn't matter how hard you pull, it won't budge past this point.

I should have taken it back to the shop, but once built, it wouldn't fit in my car.

Any ideas about the problem ?

Sponsored Links

10-30-05, 09:48 AM   #2  
if it has a warranty, i'd have them worry about it. but you can check it out by removing the shroud, taking it off, making sure the engine turns over right by turning the flywheel, making sure nothing catches or rubs. the take the shroud and pull on the cord and see if anything catches or anything.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-05, 08:01 PM   #3  
It sounds like either something in the machine is jammed, or the carburetor leaked fuel into the cylinder and hydro-locked the engine. Try turning it with the spark plug out and the wire tied back away from the hole where it won't spark and ignite any fuel that may blow out of the plug hole.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-30-05, 10:07 PM   #4  
rake60
It sounds to me like the flywheel brake is not releasing.
When you squeeze and release the bail can you feel tension?

Search this Thread