Poulan 260 PRO chain oiler

Old 11-03-05, 10:24 AM
grampagary2
Visiting Guest

Am having trouble with the chain not getting oiled. Took the bar, chain, & cover off. Figureing it just needed some cleaning. Well, that didn't do any good.
Question:
How does the automatic oiler work? Is there some internal mechanical part that gos bad? Or maybe I'm just not cleaning CRUDE out of the right spots.

Help....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-05, 04:58 PM
deanw
Visiting Guest
The oil pump is turned via a worm gear which looks like a spring installed on the crankshaft. These worm gears are often to blame for oiling failures.

Old 11-06-05, 10:03 AM
jbh3
Visiting Guest
Poulan 260 Oiler

My 260 has stopped oiling as well. It appears that the Poulan Oil Pump Kit #530071259 does not include a "Gear" but does include a "Gear - Worm spring", part #530037820. How does one access these parts to replace them. Thank you!!

Old 11-06-05, 10:11 AM
take off the cover, chain and bar. Remove the clutch and drum assy. The pump is under there. Usually with a few screws holding it. The problem is usually the plastic gear (tooth stripped) inside the pump.
S/T

Old 11-15-05, 11:35 AM
grampagary2
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info.
Purchased and Oiler kit, installed and it's working like a charm.

I found out his helpful hint: To lock the shaft for removal of the clutch assembly. Just, remove sparkplug and stick a rope (or something soft enough not to mar the inside of the cylinder) in the hole to lock the piston into the top position. Then the clutch assembly can be broke loose easily.

Old 01-04-08, 05:17 PM

The rope trip really works. I had to change my oiler (yes, the plastic gear was stripped), when I put about 16" of 3/8" rope in the hole, pulled the starter rope until it locked the piston, the inner clutch assembly unscrewed by hand.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this issue.