Craftsman rideing lawn mower 917.255520 wont start

Old 08-17-11, 01:58 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman rideing lawn mower 917.255520 wont start

OK i have a Craftsman riding lawn mower model number 917.255520 that wont start i knew the battery was old so i bought a new one put it in turned the key and nothing not even a click i red through the forums and a found a few things to try without really knowing what i am doing i found a spot where a red wire the same gauge as the red wire on the battery is attached to something bolted on the right side of the box that houses the steering column directly below the key if i attach a jumper cable to the battery and this bolt with the key in the on position it starts up perfectly there is another red wire going from that to a thing on the right side of the motor that looks like a black soda can that has a bolt that if i jump it there it starts up. so please correct me if i am wrong but the first thing i jump it to is the small cylinoid and the second thing is the large cylinoid and the problem must be the starter which is the piece of metal with a bunch of wires that is the underside of where i put the key.
would it work to instead of replaceing the starter or what ever the problem is if that is not what i think it is to take a thick gauge wire wire it to the battery and to a toggle switch from walmart mount it next to the key then wire a wire from the other side of the switch to one of those points i can jump and just put the key to on and flip the switch to turn the mower on. would that be the easier and cheaper way to do it?
Thanks

Old 08-17-11, 04:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
That small part that you jumper to get it to start is the solenoid. The solenoids on mowers aren't the sturdiest of parts and they often go bad. Not generally very expensive; looks like about $15 on your machine. That's the easiest, cheapest, and safest way to do it.

The other two items are the ignition switch and the starter itself. If you jumper directly to the starter and it spins, starter is good.

Old 08-17-11, 07:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Try cleaning all connections first, it could also be the key switch itself or connections there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: